Hello from Missouri - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hello from Missouri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Hello from Missouri

Hello all from Missouri. My name is Tim and me and my family are new to camping. We were going to start out using tents at some of the state parks, and had to get a camper due to out new baby girl. Within about 2 months, we purchased a pop up camper, and sold it for a 1994 27' Prowler. I'm sure I will be calling on some of you for advise because I need to fix a small area that dropped in the front of the camper due to water damage.
We are really looking forward to getting out to the parks and enjoying the camping experience. I am also interested in Geocaching which will go along real nicely with camping. I hope to meet some of you on our travels.

Tim and Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Hey Tim, welcome! I have not done any geocaching yet either, but plan to try it out. I know there is a couple of folks here that are pretty involved with it and really like it.

So what are you haulin that big rig with?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Camper

Hi Mikey,
Thanks for the welcome to the group. I have done some Geocaching on and off for about 4 years now and I am trying to get the family into it as well. It is fun and a good way to get the kids out into nature and maybe learn something.
I am pulling my travel trailer with a Dodge Ram 1500 with the tow package. Seems to do pretty good but I need to make some adjustments to the tow hitch.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Camping Fanatic

Hell Tim. Nothing wrong with a Ram 1500

Well, except the gas mileage. I have a 2000 model with the 360. Mine doesnt have a tow setting, so I have to tow in drive, which fires those RPM up pretty good.

I keep putting it off, but I really need to get an equalizer hitch or something similar, I think it would make life much easier.

Ford Mainline
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Camper

You are correct, these truck like to drink the gas, but you no, mine is a 2005 with a 5.9 Hemi. It has worked real well for me and I think it will stay around for a quite a while. You will shortly find out that I am new to this towing campers thing.
One issue that I ran into while towing this rig and correct me if I'm wrong is that the RPM's would barely drop below 2100 to 2300 RPM. Is that normal for towing something like this? A friend here at work said that the tow hitch may be set to high and the weight could be pushing to back of the camper making it do this. We are going to look into it once he gets back from his trip. I had a few problems on hills at a stop with squeeling my tires. Any ideas??
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Camping Guru

Welcome to the forum Tim. and congrat on the new little one.
I know for me, when I'm pulling my trailer, especially up hills I'm in the 3000 rpms. I know when I'm on a hill at a stop light, I better though her in 4X4 or the transmission will start to slip gears for a few minutes and go back to normal. It's been freaking me out a little I'm kinda wishing I bought the V8. Just this past weekend I had everything going agaist me. I was in campgroung about 2.5 hrs away from home, I got there with a 1/4 tank of gas, but comming back home I used up 3/4 (the rest of it) up hill against the wind all the way home. I couldn't believe it. I sure hope the gas prices come back down. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll get myself a 250.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Camping Guru

Hello Tim, welcome to the forum. We will be glad to help out as much as possible, let us know if you have any questions.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Geocaching

to the site Tim. I am thinking about trying out geocaching, after hearing a few others talk about it on here.