Camper covers - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Camper covers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Camping Extraordinaire
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Camper covers

I was wondering what type of camper, trailer, RV covers people use. Do you have one those covers you put on (you know that type that fits over the camper that is made out of vinyl and fits around all of the camper) or have it under built cover or in a garage or a storage lot. Or perhaps you leave it out in the elements. I was just kinda curious. We leave ours parked in the driveway uncovered-but it is dirty and full of black run off lines.

Last edited by glfortner; 03-07-2008 at 09:38 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Mine is exposed to the elements and I expect that it will need a real good cleaning in the spring

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Addicted Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2l View Post
Mine is exposed to the elements and I expect that it will need a real good cleaning in the spring
Same here...I want a cover, but the $350 isn't in funds right now.
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee(8" lift, 37" tires) play rig

Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Camping Guru

I know what you mean roadhouse. I have heard some horror stories from the cheaper rv covers, that tear up in a year. So I want to get a good one, but cleaning the rv after winter is cheaper
Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: None

Send a message via MSN to grace

The lady right next door doesn't use an RV cover at all. They keep it washed pretty well though. My other neighbor 1 street up uses an RV cover. They keep it covered at all times. It looks like an expensive one because of the appearance.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Camping Fanatic

I wish I did have a cover on it now, there is about 6" of snow on top of it

Ford Mainline
Old 03-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

We too thought about an RV cover. Briefly. Until I realized what a mess THAT would be to clean. TO SAY NOTHING of storing something that size (aka...circus tent). Yikes!

Easier to just wash dirt streaks with a long-handled mop and wee bit of mild dishsoap.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I just worry more about what the sun, rain, hail, etc... is doing to it over time. Fading, wear and tear. I dont mind the washing, well yeah I do ), but I can tell mine has faded some sitting in sun all summer.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
_

I didn't use to have one, then someone pointed out something to me - if I have a leak somewhere, at least if I use a cover there won't be water leaking in while it's not being used. Imagine if you let your's sit for several months, and there's a leak that is not noticeable, but is slowly rotting away inside your walls.

I made sure I got one that "breathes" - but when used, the awning will fill up with moisture and get moldy during storage. I don't have this problem if I don't use the cover - guess the wind helps to keep the awning dry, even when it's rolled up.

The ADCO I got has held up well - except for the gorilla size puppy we got a few years back tore some of it up. Though bulky when rolled up (about 4' long and 2 1/2' diameter), it doesn't weigh much.

Since my trailer isn't designed for walking on the roof, it is a chore to put on (watch the rain gutters - they will tear it up).
Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 AM
Camping Guru

happiestcamper,

If you have time, we would love for you to add your camper cover review in the product reviews section. It will help out a lot of other members when deciding to purchase one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
I didn't use to have one, then someone pointed out something to me - if I have a leak somewhere, at least if I use a cover there won't be water leaking in while it's not being used. Imagine if you let your's sit for several months, and there's a leak that is not noticeable, but is slowly rotting away inside your walls.

I made sure I got one that "breathes" - but when used, the awning will fill up with moisture and get moldy during storage. I don't have this problem if I don't use the cover - guess the wind helps to keep the awning dry, even when it's rolled up.

The ADCO I got has held up well - except for the gorilla size puppy we got a few years back tore some of it up. Though bulky when rolled up (about 4' long and 2 1/2' diameter), it doesn't weigh much.

Since my trailer isn't designed for walking on the roof, it is a chore to put on (watch the rain gutters - they will tear it up).
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 AM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailfire99 View Post
happiestcamper,

If you have time, we would love for you to add your camper cover review in the product reviews section. It will help out a lot of other members when deciding to purchase one. Thanks!
Done
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Camping Fanatic

Great, thanks for sharing that happiestcamper! It will be helpful to keep track of camping products used by campers.

Ford Mainline
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Camping Extraordinaire

Roadhouse-we found it very hard to get the black streaks off with soap-it doesn't sound like you have had problem? I was wondering do you use a rag mop or a foam mop? A friend of mine suggested using one of those Mr. Clean sponges to get the streaks off that would come of with soap-have you tried that?