New member - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default New member

I have a 16' calista and have had for 3 years but has never left my side yard, thinking about taking it down south this year. I do have some certain issues with it that will have to be fixed before I leave for the open road. I lived in it this summer to rent my house out and has been very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Nice way to make some extra cash, what sort of problems are you having before you take the trip?

Places I have Camped at Civilian/Army
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

What is a Calista? Is that a trailer?

If it is, and was sitting for 3 years you might need to check the tires. They tend to rot when not being used and since they rot from the inside out, then you won't necessarily be able to tell.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Old 08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Great way to make summer rental money,and it has worked out real well.

#1. I have problems with the fridge working on the lp side not lighting. Dometc rm2201 ac/dc/lp also, when on dc side it drains power within hours?

#2. The lp heater also does not stay lit,it will fire once then when calls for heat will not fire back up but fan will run.

#3. I have a cracked dome hood ( roof vent ). broken potable water filler. the gas reg leaks. door handle is broken. Question is were to get parts for this?

All minor things but I bought this because a friend needed the cash, now I'm taking advantage of the use and going to enjoy it if I can get the wife to ride along.
I do have the trailer jacked up off the tires and check them periodically. For a small trailer it is fully loaded and has perfect room for one and a dog, little tight with 2 but is manageable.the bed works fine for 2.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Most RV parts stores will have the parts you mention, or any RV discounter or surplus type store is where I like to go since the prices are typically lower. The hardest part is knowing how to fix it and making sure you find the part to replace.

It sounds like you are having LP supply issues. You should NOT be using a trailer with a leaky gas reg. You say you heater is not working right and it is uses a spark to try and light things. That spark with a leaky gas reg may go boom one day.

Camping World might be a good start for parts, but you'll need to know the year, make & model. Of course the best thing to do is tow your trailer to these places so the proprietors can match what you need. First thing to do is locate an RV parts place.

Forgot to mention. The parts you are talking about replacing will require tools and especially proper sealants or adhesives. Make sure you use the right types for each application - roof stuff will be different than potable water filler stuff and it's ABSOLUTELY critical that your repairs are watertight or you can can severe trailer damage that most times you can't see until it's too late. Good luck with the repairs.

The thing about tires is that they are not designed to sit for long periods of time. They need to be used regularly or they will dry rot. Regarding the tires, the only thing you can truly check is the DOT code. If they are more than 5 years old, replace them. You cannot see dry rot on old rarely used tires. The tread will look great but the inside of the tire is a blow out ready to happen. Keeping them at proper inflation won't help if the tires are old. If you need help reading a DOT code let us know.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 08-17-2011 at 12:09 PM..