hello all-- new to camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

hello all-- new to camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default hello all-- new to camping

trying to find a 27 or 29 foot trailer also need to know what is best vehicle to tow the same, any help will be appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Toy Hauler

Default looking for tow vehicle

A 27-29 ft travel trailer (bumper pull) will probably have a gross weight ie trailer loaded with water, eats, clothes and all the other 'stuff' around 10,000 lbs. Don't repeat don't think in terms of 'dry' weight because nobody goes camping empty. A 10k trailer requires a 3/4 ton minimum with the biggest gas engine or preferably diesel power. Unless you do most of your camping in places like the mid west where roads are pretty flat the diesel is the engine of choice because of it's torque for hill climbing but also it's probable 10-11 mpg instead of 6-7 for gas. Put some thought into what you want and never believe what the salesmen tell you about tow vehicles or much of anything else. Good luck and let us know how you come out, Gerry
Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Gerry pretty much answered your question. Pay special attention that the GROSS weight is the number to remember when looking for a truck.

1/2 ton trucks (Ford F-150, Chevy/GMC 1500, Dodge 1500, Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundras) only tow up to about 8,000 lbs. Newer models may go higher, but don't push it. You'll find that it's better to have more truck than what you need because you have to consider cargo, gear and passengers.

3/4 ton trucks, Ford F250, Chevy/GMC & Dodge 2500s can tow up to 12,000 lbs properly equipped. This is about where you lose the Japanese truck makers and from here on up, it's all American made. You can tow most TTs or small fifth wheels.

1 ton gets you up to about 14,000 to 15,000 for fifth wheels comfortably but bumper tow is about the same as 3/4 ton but the big difference is the 1 ton truck can carry a lot more on the rear axle which translates to the fifth wheel's pin weight.

Finally, the duallies are the big beasts of the recreational towing world. Of course, theres the MDTs and Semi Tractors after that.

NEVER allow a sales guy to sell you a trailer that is heavier than your weight rating, then tell you "just don't fill it up with stuff". If there's room for it, you'll put it in the rig and this doesn't work for keeping the weight down. If any salesman pushes that, then go find yourself another salesman or even dealer (I hold the dealer responsible for whatever shenanigans their salesmen try and pull). If they succeed, it becomes your problem and liability! Things break when you are within weight ratings, why push it!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Thanks

nothing like info from people who know their stuff. i will heed what you have said. going to start my search today, thats what i needed to know. at least now i have a knowledege base to work with. did not want someone to tell me something wrong for a sales commission. hope yall have a great day.