Hey boys and girls. Thanks for letting us in. - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hey boys and girls. Thanks for letting us in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Hey boys and girls. Thanks for letting us in.

We are a pair of 60 sumthins that have been experiencing the empty nest syndrome for several years now. Guess what! We like it!

We have gone through the Motorcycle, convertible stage and are now campers. Last year we bought an 04 24ft Dutchman Lite from an acquaintance. It is a very clean and nice little camper BUT I WANT AN R VISION ONYX.

My help mate of 40 yrs says we don't need a new camper and assures me that she is perfectly satisfied with the one we have....sooooo, I guess we'll keep it.

I was caused to trade my 05 Quad cab Dodge Dakota for a 07 1500 with a Hemi to tow with. We have been out about a half dozen times since last summer and have not had a minutes problem with the camper or the tow vehicle, so I guess we are doing well.

We do enjoy this new pass time. Now if I can just get her to retire too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

On some Onyx's they have slide bedrooms in the rear. This helps keep the length and weight down for the trailer however the only thing I'd seriously caution you about is that the slideout has "soft sides" (Canvas or similar to keep the weight down). You've gone through all the trouble of getting a hard sided trailer with solid hard walls and insulation and then you compromise it with soft sides. This will allow the outside temps in, outside noise and it will create noise if the wind and weather are kicking.

If you want to keep the length down, get a slideout with hardwalls as well. Onyx might have one, but there are other equally as good brands that provide this (Keystone Outback comes to mind) and have light enough gross weights to be towed by your 1/4 ton truck.

Keep dreaming. More times than not most RVers dreams come true. When the frequency of your outings increases due to you both being retired, you might find your dreams might even go past your truck and Onyx. It happened to us! We have a Big Ford 1 ton tow vehicle and a 37' Fifth wheel. Yeah Baby, we RV in near luxury (fireplace, ceiling fans, French doors and all the conveniences).

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Camper

The one I like has hard walls and is 25 ft. Seems to be really well built. However, I don't really know much about R Vision as a company. The truck is a half ton and does well with this size trailer. The Onyx is aluminum framed, a feature that I like. It is rated at about 500 lbs lighter than the Dutchman.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
_

Welcome to the site
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Remember to refer to the GROSS vehicle weight rating, NOT the shipping weight! The gross weight refers to the trailer, cargo, gear, full tanks and how much weight its suspension and tongue can support. Then hopefully your truck should be able to pull this weight with some margin to spare. Don't forget to consider the hitch hardware, etc.

There's been lots of recent members who are asking about this and we want to ensure everyone understands how important these specifications are important for RVers. Happy trails and don't hesitate to tell us about your fun times!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear