Hi from NC - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hi from NC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Hi from NC

Hi all. I am a former tent camper who just bought my first pop up.... have had a blast this year breaking it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Hello ktnm135, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you would call a pop-up, but I had what could be called a 'spring loaded' pop-up, once I got it out of it's round bag it would pop up on it's own in seconds. The problem I had was putting it back into the carrying bag again!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 AM
_

Welcome aboard

Where in NC do you camp? Our favorite CG anywhere is Davidson River in Pisgah National Forest - will be there starting Saturday.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Camper

I have hiked in Pisgah but haven't camped there yet. I will have to check it out for sure. Thanks for the recommendation!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodster View Post
Hello ktnm135, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you would call a pop-up, but I had what could be called a 'spring loaded' pop-up, once I got it out of it's round bag it would pop up on it's own in seconds. The problem I had was putting it back into the carrying bag again!
lol... I have a jeep camper that literally unhooks and folds over on a piano hinge. so I guess you would truly call it a fold over camper instead of a pop-up lol. It has been nice for boondocking though since it is an off road type camper. Not many frills or bells and whistles but not much to break either
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

A popup is another word for a collapsible tent trailer. This is a common upgrade from a tent setup in that there is a lightweight trailer chassis with a large box on it that is towed behind your vehicle.

The top half is cranked into position, then the front and back ends have the beds that slide outwards created a large interior for walking/dining/cooking and keeping dry while doing it.

The popularity of these is "getting off the ground" and being the most basic RV allows for the major living completely inside the "Tent" including cooking, dining, sleeping, visiting in some comfort. It's difficult to do all this in a conventional tent. It will also typically have electrical and water hookups to complete the convenience.

There are several different options for how a popup works but they are called popups because they "pop up" to form the comprehensive living quarters. It can be a triangular shape, it can fold out as opposed to cranked up, but the main characteristic is that it is mounted on its own trailer chassis for towing. The main drawback to these is they fall short of 100% interior convenience because bathroom/shower facilities will not exist or be very primitive. This is the typical prerequisite to an full RV of some kind to solve that problem.

I think this is what the OP is talking about. I hope their "breaking in" hasn't included any "things breaking"!

Popup tents are in a different category because they are not on a trailer chassis and therefore don't have hookups to campsite facilities.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear