Okie Newbies - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Okie Newbies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Okie Newbies

My husband and I just put money down on a Keystone Springdale 279 fwrl-ssr.
We had a deposit on a TT, but after doing a lot of research and reading forums, we decided to go te 5 th wheel route. We also had to buy a 2009 3/4 ton chevy diesel. We are looking forward to lots of travels with our two cocker spaniels. I will keep reading the forums and learning a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Welcome aboard
Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the forum.

Good call on the new truck to tow your new trailer! The trailer has a GVWR a little over 10,000 lbs and when loaded with all your gear can easily weigh 2,000 lbs at the pin and this weight is carried by the rear axle of the truck. Weigh your new truck to learn it's curb weight (front axle, rear axle & both axles) and this should confirm you have enough capacity, then you'll need to consider the hitch, your passengers and all the gear in the truck added to all this. If you want to know how to do this, please ask.

Everyone should weigh their rigs and know their numbers. Believe me it will you help you later. Even your cocker spaniels and their gear and supplies add weight to whatever is carrying them.

Another suggestion is to arrange for a thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). After they have made the deal the salesfolks will be eager to get this trailer off the lot. If you are new trailer owners, have them show you how everything works, not just tell you. It's not because you are an idiot, it's to prove that the items WORK! I can't tell you how many stories of new owners driving off the lot and getting on their maiden voyage and so many things not working immediately, then having to return to the dealer. Wouldn't it be nice if it all worked on that maiden voyage?

Let the dealer know you want to do this ahead of time so they can prepare correctly. Try to include dumping the tanks (use fresh water only). This means there will need to be water in the fresh water tank & a city water connection to prove both methods (city pressure and the fresh water tank with the pump) work properly. If so equipped, run the black tank flush for 10 to 15 minutes. Since fresh water is being used you don't have to have a sewer dump available. And forgive me for bringing this up, it prevents the workers from using your "facilities" - I hate when workers do that - if the dealer knows you are going to be testing all this works. DO NOT believe them. You need to see all this work for yourself. Plan for several hours.

If the dealer doesn't let you do this, then "RUN". They don't care about your needs. Offer to pay for the propane if you have to. If you have to take the unit back to their service, they won't care any longer how long it takes since the rig is now yours and they've gotten their money. But you catch problems before they turn it over to you and they're on it IMMEDIATELY because it's still their dime.

Sorry about the long post, but I just got finished in another forum about new owners that didn't do this and one had a black tank flush problem and another had a fresh tank problem (hot water not working with water pump) - they didn't verify these before picking up the rig. There have been numerous other stories like this.

Best of luck with your rig, and I hope you post about your maiden voyage and how much fun you had!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Thank goodness... we finally have some okie's on this forum. The Okie's in Central California have an extremely rich heritage and reputation as being honest and hard working. Our San Joaquin Valley which is one of the richest agriculture developements in the world was largely carved out by Okies. When I was in business, I had accounts in Bakersfield and I visited this one account one day and the owner took me into the warehouse and introduced me to one of his new employees. When we were leaving the warehouse he whispered to me, 'this new employee works as hard as an Okie!'

This one's for you, my Okie friends and it come's from an Okie! I couldn't let this opportunity pass without introducing one of my favorite people!

Merle Haggard.
'Okie From Muskogee.'