Greetings all! - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Greetings all!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Van

Talking Greetings all!

Good Morning. My names Jim. Henceforth to be known as Song Bird..here on the boards. I'm preparing for my first Tent camping adventure (In many years) the 26th. of June for a 6 days stay. I was a Nomad in my younger days, & I currently own a custom Van that sits on my Brothers property in Indiana. My Mom lives there too. So when I visit I camp out in the Van. It came equipped with Porta-potty, sink, & Frig. And I've added modern conveniences like a portable DvD player for movies & tunes. I also have a trickle down Solar panel going to the Van Battery, A Solar charged Lantern, And a re-chargable Road Pro 12V Battery Pack. Which I will be bringing on my trip. My brother & his wife are traveling down I65 to Tennessee. I wanted to go but cannot afford 6 days in a Hotel. So, I'm going, And I'm going camping. I'll be dumped off..deserted.. in Southern Indiana at the Hardy Lake recreational area in Scottsburg. (boro?) I'm a bit concerned by not having wheels or additional emergency shelter, But, I want to go. Has anyone ever been to this campsite? It seems like a great place. I could get drenched, I could get heat stroke? Lets hope none of the latter actually occurs. I don't know how our forefathers did it?? They were more man (& woman) then I , I'll tell you that much. So, any insights here about the Hardy Lake Res. area would be appreciated. Why not take the Van? I'm disabled with a vertigo problem. I don't drive. Oh, I'm 51 years old. this truly will be, an adventure! Again, greetings all! My name is Jim. Have a great stay, & a greater day, Song Bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM
_
Camper Type: None

welcome aboard

Never been to Indiana. I bet you'll be just fine.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Van

Thank You. Looking forward to reading of many campers adventures.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I learned some time ago if you are prepared for all weather types then you'll never be unprepared.

One early September I packed up for a month long camping trip with my wife to tour a bunch of National Parks and other places (Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, Custer Battle Site, Devil's Tower, Glacier NP, Bryce Canyon and Zion NPs in that order). Lots of driving and lots of camping or lodges (@Yellowstone) or cabins (Custer area). Everywhere else was tenting.

At home in the Southern California heat (it was about 95 that day), my wife was absolutely confused because I had packed heaters, tarps and our rain gear, thermals, gloves, thick headgear and parkas, but I told her I wanted to be prepared for everything.

3 days later we were in Grand Teton enjoying the beauty and the sights and had been about 80 to 85 degrees every day. The next day, the temperature went south averaging 39 degrees during the day! It snowed, sleeted and had clear but very cold days for about two weeks! EVERYONE including the locals were caught completely off guard and many of them asked how I knew to be so prepared. All their warm stuff was still in storage waiting for the cold winter later in the year which had just now arrived too early in mid September. I'm always prepared is all I could reply. The weather didn't warm back up to normal until we got to Zion. But being prepared the weather didn't stop us from enjoying anything! My wife was very comfortable even with the terrible weather!

Since we had done so well under some harsh conditions, our last two days before returning home we spent in Las Vegas in Hotel Luxury. Yup, I had told my wife to pack some nice stuff, too, "just in case", and this was the surprise "just in case" I had planned for us. What a way to end a rustic vacation. No wonder she loves me so much. And I was just thinking "how lucky can I get?"

It sounds like you're thinking of the right things. You'll have to tell us how much you enjoyed yourself when you get back.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear