Hello from the Buckeye State - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hello from the Buckeye State

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Hello from the Buckeye State

I have been camping a few years now. My husband and I have a 29' Dutchmen bunk house. We have the camper set on a permanent site so all we have to do is pack and go for the weekend.
We are trying to sell it so we can purchase a bigger floor plan to accomodate our sons wheelchair. My son loves to camp, he knows when it friday and is persistent on letting us know it's time to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Welcome to the forum!

With the popularity of many open floor plans you should be able to find one. The biggest problem you may have is modifying the entry door and steps to help him enter and exit, but this is possible.

A Fifth wheel tends to provide the most room but you might also have to spring for a bigger tow vehicle. If you want a larger bumper tow, then you start running into lightweight (and more fragile) materials since most tow vehicles have lower tow ratings for a travel trailer than a fifth wheel. I've towed both and much prefer the fifth wheel. It takes a little getting used to the large object behind you and you must worry about height much more but you'll get used to it quickly, learn to use your mirrors better and will be more rested since the fifth wheel tows easier because of how it's carried in the truck.

Since you have a permanent arrangement, many long term RVers build and install permanent ramps to the door way. I'm not sure how or if they modified the door, but I have heard it's possible to have it modified to accomodate a wheel chair.

It's great to hear your son enjoys camping. That's more than half the battle and whatever expenses are done to accommodate him will be worth it.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
_
Camper Type: None

Welcome aboard

Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
Welcome aboard
Thank you, glad to have the oppurtunity to chat awith folks that I have something in common with.

Last edited by luvs2camp; 05-11-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Welcome to the forum!

With the popularity of many open floor plans you should be able to find one. The biggest problem you may have is modifying the entry door and steps to help him enter and exit, but this is possible.

A Fifth wheel tends to provide the most room but you might also have to spring for a bigger tow vehicle. If you want a larger bumper tow, then you start running into lightweight (and more fragile) materials since most tow vehicles have lower tow ratings for a travel trailer than a fifth wheel. I've towed both and much prefer the fifth wheel. It takes a little getting used to the large object behind you and you must worry about height much more but you'll get used to it quickly, learn to use your mirrors better and will be more rested since the fifth wheel tows easier because of how it's carried in the truck.

Since you have a permanent arrangement, many long term RVers build and install permanent ramps to the door way. I'm not sure how or if they modified the door, but I have heard it's possible to have it modified to accomodate a wheel chair.

It's great to hear your son enjoys camping. That's more than half the battle and whatever expenses are done to accommodate him will be worth it.
We are looking at a Salem 38' with a huge open floor plan and a sliding glass door. The only problem is we can't tow it with our van and we can't seem to find one in stock close by. We are going to have to order it. We have plans on building a ramp to the sliding door.

It's nice having other campers who are crafty and willing to help. We are a small camping family with big hearts. Everyone is so helpful when they realize how much Clayton loves to camp.

Thanks for your advice on the fifth wheel but the one that could help us is way out of our price range. We don't plan on towing anyway.

Last edited by luvs2camp; 05-11-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

That should work! The sliding doors usually are wide enough to accomodate a wheel chair. I believe there are ramps you can find, too.

If you were close by and willing to pay for the fuel I would tow it for you all. Well besides the fuel maybe some milk and cookies oughta do it.

Last month we were in Ohio but traveling using Amtrak. We live in So. Calif.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Welcome to the forum!