Hi from NH - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hi from NH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Hi from NH

I had found this site today while looking for reviews on 5th wheel hitches. My wife and I have decided that a 5th wheel toyhauler fits our needs better than what we have had in the past.

We presently have a motorhome, but for us, that's a waste. We like to haul 1.5"scale trains, and with the motorhome, we pull a 14' Wells Cargo. Oh! and did I mention the Goldwing and Honda Pacific Coast that like to take with us as well.

We have used the Wells Cargo as a camper in our younger days, 20 years ago. Had a '91 Dodge diesel to pull it. After a couple of years of that, we got a slide in camper 11.5' with a 4' hitch extension, and traveled the country with that. Truck camper, Wells Cargo, trains, and Goldwing.

We went back looked at the new truck campers, but they look small to us now. Especially after the motorhome.

So now on to 5th wheel, and my question on other section of this forum.

Jim & Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
_
Camper Type: None

Welcome aboard
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Good luck with your new choice on RV lifestyle. I did see your post on hitches on another post and made a comment from many friends that have made their hitch choice.

When I got my first 5er, I let the dealer throw in their standard hitch. It was a two piece Husky/Valley rated at 16K. Since then I learned I hate the hitch's bed rail system because I remove my hitch all the time so I can use the truck bed and now it's not flat because of these rails. I wish I had a hitch with the rails under the bed to leave my bed flat. I also wish I had some kind of air system. I hear these can remove some of the chucking and bucking that occurs when using a cheaper, simpler hitch. Nothing is wrong mind you and it still tows far better than a travel trailer on the bumper, but it's always about making things nicer as long as the weight doesn't get outta line.

Good luck with your conversion. I hope you post some pictures of your scale trains!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 04-23-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I'm new too - but welcome to the forum.