Hi everyone! - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hi everyone!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Hi everyone!

We are new here and new to camping in general. We have actually only camped twice in a popup. We recently sold the popup and bought a 2005 Keystone Z241 and are very anxious to try it out. We are discovering that we know absolutely nothing about camping but we are ready to learn. Looking forward to being a part of this community. Debby and Brian (Alabama...Roll Tide!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Welcome... This will be exciting for you. There is so much to learn but it sounds like you have the right mentality. Unfortunately, like me, you'll learn better when things don't go right, but bear with it and stay willing to learn from it.

Don't be afraid to ask ANY questions. I did all my learning back when there weren't computers or the internet, so take advantage of us who learned the long and hard way. No question is dumb and we are looking forward to seeing plenty.

The bad news, not knowing much, makes it hard to know what to ask. Start with reading ALL the manuals and trying each thing out. Many things or potential problems will become obvious as you become familiar with everything. You'll learn the tank indicators are bogus, that you can't turn on all the electrical stuff at the same time because power IS limited, and to be careful of weight ratings. You'll learn to fully stock the trailer and be mindful of the weight to make preparing for a trip a lot easier. The more prepared a rig, the less chance of forgetting something.

Etc., etc., etc. Sorry, but I'm trying to keep the post small and not overwhelm you.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Camper

Thanks so much for your reply. We have already discovered a couple of problems. The refrig was working and freezer froze ice cubes but now it flashes "ck gas". Hubby says there is gas in tanks but we have not filled them and I am not sure why he thinks they are full. Also, all plugs work but lights do not. Hood works but light does not. Tried replacing bulbs and they blow while we are inserting them. Any ideas?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

In your description of your rig you neglected to mention the brand of trailer. You listed year "2005", manufacturer, "Keystone" and model "Z241" but not the brand. Is it a Zeppelin? This helps us by knowing exactly what you have.

First, the easy question about the hood. If you are talking about the range hood and the light keeps blowing out, there might be a short in the fixture or the switch. Since the fan works it doesn't seem like the circuit breaker. Either take it in (under warranty I hope) or take the hood apart and check the wiring. When the new bulbs blow, is it immediate or does it take a while? You might also check the switch that turns on the light.

Now for your fridge, do you have dual power RV fridge (110v and propane)? Are you connected to shore power or are you running off the battery? If you have not filled the tanks that doesn't mean there was no gas in them if someone else puts in a little propane to test the rig prior to selling it. The other possibility is that the fridge was running on AC (110v) then the AC failed for a bit and in converting to Propane had a problem. There are numerous propane problem causes but more information is needed. When the hubby says there is gas in the tanks, how much is there? What is he using to tell if there is gas - wall panel, regulator gauge, or something else? As tanks empty the pressure will drop a little. A fridge may not like when the pressure drops in order to keep the fridge cool, but this should be pretty low before it's a problem.

I hope these ideas can help. There is another raft of suggestions regarding propane supply and how it can cause problems but I'll try and keep it simple for now. If these don't work report back and we'll continue.

I forgot to mention. Make sure the power is disconnected before messing with any electrical. I wouldn't want to have to explain shock and medical.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Last edited by artmart; 04-08-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: added caution...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Camper

Default Thanks so much for your suggestions!

It is a Zeppelin. We are going to try your suggestions. Brian is just guessing from the weight of the tank that we have propane :-)...in other words, there is a LARGE margin for error. Also, thanks for the heads up about the electrical issues. Disconnecting the power before working on it is one of the few things we do know We are very new to this but hopefully with the help of some of you good buddies out there, we will eventually catch on. THANK FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Welcome here!