Hi from FL, new to camping... - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hi from FL, new to camping...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Hi from FL, new to camping...

Hello,
We are a family of 5 and new to camping. We went to cabin camping last December and we are going our first tent camping trip next weekend.
I have so many questions and a lot to learn from you all LOL!!!
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
_

Welcome aboard
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Welcome to the forums!!!
Brent

Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Welcome here!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Welcome to the forum Kim, and to the wonderful world of camping! We started out camping in a tent ten years ago. Then six years ago we bought our first popup. Within those six years, we owned two popups. In November, we bought our first fifth wheel, a 2011 Puma 259RBSS. I am so excited! We just brought the Puma home this morning. I can't wait for our first camping trip of the season April 22nd. I hope you and your family continues to enjoy camping just as much as my family and I have. Let us know how your first tent camping trip goes. Happy Camping!

Louann
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Camping Fanatic

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on the first camping trip, let us know how it goes. Post some pics when you get back!

Ford Mainline
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Default Greetings all, Gus here

New to this forum, (obviously), but not to camping

I'm a tent camper that prefers primitive site camping, campfire cooking, and making my own camp accessories with lashing projects.

I'm thankfully politically incorrect, subject to an occasional cuss word, and have probably been tent camping longer than some of you are old. But still discover new camping tips and techniques that amaze me.

My first tent outing was a week-long bear hunting camp in the Blue Ridge mountains when I was 8-years old. (only kid, 5 adults), and I have been tent camping every since. (ps. I carried a 30-30, Winchester Model 94)

And I tolerate RV campers fairly well, as long as they bring the steaks.

Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :GAW
Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
_

Hey Gus

I like being simple also, but my back sure does appreciate the real bed in the camper (not to mention the peace of mind when it rains for 2 days solid). I still do most of my cooking in the fire.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
Hey Gus

I like being simple also, but my back sure does appreciate the real bed in the camper (not to mention the peace of mind when it rains for 2 days solid). I still do most of my cooking in the fire.
@happiestcamper - thanks for the welcome - I understand what you are saying, but... (I know this sounds like the "beating head on wall because it feels good to stop" reasoning), the feel of that first night back in a "real" bed is so good that the "preparation for it", of a few nights camping on the ground seem worth it.

Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :GAW
Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

LOL Gus, that almost sounds like you want to cut off your leg because it will feel good when you finally stop the bleeding. You are way more severe that I am. I prefer to be as comfortable as possible AT THE TIME and not that I'll be uncomfortable for now because I will be comfortable later. Not getting a good night's sleep or staying dry when it's wet or staying warm when it's cold and so on, is about what you are experiencing now and still being able to maintain comfort and happiness.

Yes, I am exaggerating your position somewhat but my point is we all have differing tolerances of comfort and achieving it which is why I am still backpacking successfully and my wife is strictly a tenter or RVer.

Louann - tell us all about your maiden voyage. Look at mishaps as opportunites for learning experiences.

Gus - You are hilarious. I read one of your previous posts and I am amazed with five adults and you being the only kid (8 years old) you could carry a .30-.30 Winchester. At eight years old I couldn't even hold a glass of milk without spilling it. But I'll hope I read it wrong and you were older when you started carrying that cannon. Just funning with you man.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
... But I'll hope I read it wrong and you were older when you started carrying that cannon. Just funning with you man.
Not exactly a cannon, actually pretty good size for a kid, it was a Model 94 Winchester, which is a lever-action carbine, shorter than a long rifle - like a 30-06 or even a 30-30 bolt action.

Gus
Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Hello Kim! And Welcome!!

I (and many on this forum) am a life-long camper. I also have a family of 5, and my wife has quickly adapted to the camping lifestyle, and our kids have all now been camping since they were babies. Now 12, 10, and 7.

What you will find is that everyone has their own "traditions" and "ways of doing things." And, everyone is happy and eager to share. So, don't be shy -- you'll get all sorts of help.

We started in a tent - until the first baby came along. Since then, we are on our third camper -- but, in each case being very careful to NOT overdo it. Camping should NEVER be about the stuff. it should always be about outdoor time with family.

None-the-less, there are many tenters on this forum who would descibe me as "going soft" since we have a camper. But -- the real priority is OUTDOOR TIME with friends and FAMILY -- especially - parents with their kids. So long as your endeavors focus on toward that end, you will have NOTHING but the best of times.

Go out and build some memories!!

Enjoy! And, welcome to the camping family!

-bdean
RempRack Pickup Bed Bike Rack (5 bikes)

Camping and Biking with Family! The BEST!

Last edited by bdean; 04-03-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Camping Guru

Welcome to the forum Kim. tent camping is awesome. You're going to have a blast!!! Have fun!!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Camper

Hi there and welcome
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Camper

Thank you all for warm welcome. We came home from our tent camping trip this past Sunday. We had a great time but toward the 2nd day, my husband was hurting from bending down, zip up/down the zipper on tent. (aside from air mattress sinking by the morning, I was sleeping on a cold floor LOL). He has joint pains on his shoulders and knees from injury and surgery. Anyhow now we are considering getting a travel trailer or something similar. Actually I've never been in a travel trailer so we went to a trailer dealer to see some models yesterday. We own a Toyota Sienna mini van and its tow capacity is 3500 lbs so I don't know what kind of trailer would be safe to tow with this vehicle or we might even have to trade a vehicle for a truck or suv.
I'll have to post some more questions about travel trailers and the best cost effective vehicles to tow it. As a newbie camper, we had brought too much, a lot to wash after each meal (I don't want to use disposables), took longer to set up, take down, pack and such... so staying 2 nights seemed too short. (1st day set up, 2nd day play, 3rd day take down, check out by 1pm)...
Would love to camp in a trailer someday soon...