Experienced camper couple planning to go full time soon - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Experienced camper couple planning to go full time soon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Thumbs up Experienced camper couple planning to go full time soon

Hello...My name is Sheri and my "other half", Dave and I are in our early 50's. We have been tent campers for years and I have camped with my kids many many times before I met Dave. We have always said we could "live in the outdoors" as we have always tent camped (we now have a huge 14 x 17 tent we still use) and all in the wild (I have now learned is called "Boondocking"!).

Well, after a year of talking about it we are now in the early preparation stages of going full time. We recently purchased a 1968 Shasta travel trailer that needs some updating and minor (we hope!) work. Then we plan to sell a lot of furniture, store some stuff and hit the road!
I found your site while looking into a few others and I have already found some very helpful info on this one (regarding satellite use- sorry I have forgotten the poster-but thanks!). We do not plan to have this new phase of our lives in progress until late fall of this year so, in the meantime, I am gleaning as much info from these sites as I can get that will help us. I also have a few questions to ask and I am sure there will be many more in the months to come and I have looked over your site and posts enough to know that you guys are going to be most helpful!
I never knew there were so many who loved the outdoors as much as we do and I hope I have instilled that in my kids (now grown) and grandkids as God's wonderful nature is amazing and I plan to enjoy as much of it as I can for as long as I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Toy Hauler

Default Welcome

You lasted about 25 years longer with tent camping than I did but I respect that. Some are tougher than others. You picked an interesting RV to start with but if you have the patience and skill it could be a lot of fun and hopefully not too expensive. Please tell us how it winds up. My first RV was a 1964 13FT Field & Stream I bought in 72 just to sleep in when I worked away from home for 3 years so I didn't really understand RVing till my lady and I bought a toy hauler a couple of years ago. Good luck, Gerry
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Boondocking is a term typically reserved to using some sort of RV off a power grid and in a self sufficient form.

If you tent camp this is called tent camping or sometimes tail-gate camping.

Full-time RVing is getting more and more popular. You can rent spaces at a campground cheaper than most mortgage or rent payments since you are just renting a spot of dirt on the ground and it has simple water, power and possibly a sewer hookup. You can also join camp club or memberships which can reduce your overnights stays even less.

We happen to belong to 1000 Trails and after the initial shock of an investment we are now life members and with our plan can camp at any of the member campgrounds for free, other than an annual maintenance fee. Less than one month camping pays for it.

There are many options available for full-timers and just ask questions about what you need to know, like an extra vehicle, where to "domicile", equipment you'll need, and lots of other stuff you'll need to know. You should be able to get plenty of help.

The first thing you'll find is that you picked a classic and small trailer and for full timing don't be surprised if you'll be wanting more elbow room. This phenomenon is known as "creeping elegance". As you get comfortable with your life style you'll want more and larger and more luxury. Some rigs end up way nicer than the homes they retired from.

Best of luck to you.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

That's awesome! Hopefully in 10 years, I'll be writing a similar post. I hope you keep us up-to-date with your plans and how you're executing on them.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 AM
_

Welcome

I hope to be full time (or nearly full time) when we retire.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you have done some research already. One more site to look at (if you haven't found it yet): RV-Dream Journal

Howard and Linda Payne have been full-timers since 2005; their site chronicles their experiences and useful advice.

Last edited by thekamperman; 03-10-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Camper

Thanks for the info. I had understood Boondocking to living in a wilderness type area with no power etc. Yes I am sure that the camper will be much different in relation to space. We are in a huge 3 bedroom apartment now. I can see us moving up to something larger in time to come but-for now- it would be so nice to have one small space to clean! We don't need all of the space we have now and we- like may I am sure- seem to keep accumulating more and more material things to fill those spaces. Means more to dust and clean under. I am looking forward to cleaning out plastic carry all containers now and then. When I look around here now I say to myself often- "what did we buy that for- it's never used"!

I will check out the RV-dream journal. All sites recommended are helpful.

Last edited by dczrose; 03-10-2011 at 10:46 AM..