quiet generators - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

quiet generators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default quiet generators

I finally can afford to get an inverter generator and I was curious if anyone has tried the Lifan 3000 ? I understand that the best ones are the honda's and the Yamaha but I would like to save a little bit of money . I need a 3000 to run the ac and the microwave from time to time. Any input would be great !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

A 3000 should be able to run an A/C but don't expect too much more than that. Keep in mind the number typically represents the peak wattage, not the running wattage. This means at start up it can support 3000 watts but then can only support 2600 to 2700 after that. If an A/C is running and it is taking up most of the power, then you might have to shut it off when you want to run other high electrical stuff, like a hair dryer, microwave, or a toaster.

I would shoot for 3500 to 4000 watts.

A popular, expensive method that is highly portable is two 2000W Honda generators, that can be connected together and provide 4000W or (30 amps) of RV power.

The other thing you want be be concerned with is how clean the power that is provided to the RV. Many generators provide 110v but computers, and other sensitive digital equipment need very clean power. This is another advantage to Honda, Yamaha and other higher priced generators.

I am not familiar with Lifan and I am certainly not discounting it, but I'm trying to provide what you really want to look for in a generator.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
_
Camper Type: None

A Honda 3000 can run at a quieter level when it is not at full load, not so with the Lifan. The Honda runs at 58 db full load, 49 db in quiet mode. Lifan runs at 70 db - that is a HUGE difference.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Toy Hauler

Default generators

It seems that as usual you have to pay more to get less; in this case sound. Or as is the case with cars pay more to use less fuel as with a Prius. We also had to pay more for our gas when they took the lead out. Oh well I guess I'm not going to die rich.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Popup

I also vote for the Honda.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

You can also do the parallel thing with the Honda 3000 larger version of the generator. Get one, if you find it's not enough, then get a second and connect them together to get 6000 peak watts. This is enough to run a 50 amp RV. They only problem with most generators is the run time. But there are ways to build or buy caps and hoses to have an external fuel tank and greatly increase run time.

This is great for boondocking.

Hondas (and I think Yamahas) are notoriously quiet which is why the cost and popularity. They also have notoriously clean power. Plus they've been doing these for so long, they're probably the best. But I'm partial.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear