New to travel trailer and camping in general - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

New to travel trailer and camping in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Cool New to travel trailer and camping in general

Hello to all. My wife and I just bought our first TT the dat after Thanksgiving last year. Lot that long ago really. We purchased a 2004 Fun Finger.It's all of 15' total length. So cute and small. Just big enough for her and I and a couple of our chihuahuas. Just as we planned. Does anyone have any input as far as what we may need to load for our first voyage in the spring and camping tips or just general advise? By the way my name is Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
_
Camper Type: None

Welcome aboard

I always believe that less is better - less to pack, less to unload, less to clean afterwards.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Hiya Tom, welcome!!!

We have been able to buy everything that stays in the rig. You'll love doing this to minimize loading and unloading. The trailer is stocked with dishes, utensils, pots, pans, grills/griddles, coffee-maker, bedding, towels, etc. with as much stuff as we can so that we only have to pack or unpack food and personal clothing. Minimize anything with odors to not attract bugs, animals or other things you don't want in the trailer when you are not using it.

Avoid traveling with 100% full tanks, maybe just a few fresh water gallons for bio stops on the way, but empty gray and just a few gallons of water and sani-fluid to keep the black tank clean and fresh. When using the black tank use plenty of water to flush to keep things fluid (too little water and the contents can turn to concrete - I hope I don't have to say anymore). Only bio waste and TP in the tank everything else goes in the trash.

Depending on where we go, we might add bicycles, deep fryer or trip specific items, but this has TREMENDOUSLY reduced the time it takes to get under way to a few hours. I have a 5er and truck, so prep time includes checking and inflation all tires (including spares), filling up the propane tanks, putting some gear in the truck.

While at the campground we always clean up after ourselves and put everything away as we need. When we had the kids going with us, we taught them the same things. Nothing else happens until what you were doing before is DONE. Everyone helps and everyone plays so nothing is unfair. If everything is put away in its place clean and proper, that takes less time than doing it later.

It is more important to be organized and this will make your trips more enjoyable when the start of the trip is TOO MUCH PREP, and ending with TOO MUCH TO CLEAN AND PUT AWAY. Keeping these to a minimum allows more time to remember all the fun for next time.

You asked a simple question but there's lots to know and do and all of it learnable. When in doubt ASK!!! The world of RVing is wonderful but there's always something to learn.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear

Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Camping Fanatic

Welcome! Congrats on the new trailer, look forward to hearing about your camping adventures. Post up some pics in the albums so we can see the new toy!

Ford Mainline
Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Camping Guru

Welcome to the forum Tom. Coffee! #1 on my list. Pack what you think and make a list while your camping.