Hi from Australia - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hi from Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM
nzfiona

Default Hi from Australia

Hi,

Fiona here, a Kiwi living in Australia.

Looking to take the family to Orlando for the various theme parks, Kennedy Space Center, etc. Prices for accommodation are pretty high in Orlando, naturally, so I'm thinking about camping. Probably cabins, as we would have to buy a new tent for that (we sold our old one and haven't replaced it yet) and we aren't keen to lug a family-sized tent overseas anyway.

Any ideas of good camping grounds in Orlando? The one at Disney World is horrendously expensive for a camping ground (the tourist dollar there, no doubt), and we'd be happy with a 'normal' camping ground.

Thanks in advance!

Fiona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Some ideas for the facility of what you are looking for would help. Are you just looking for a place to sleep? What will the party of folks be like, kids, no kids, ages. How many people in your group?

There are all types of campgrounds in the area and I could provide a list but knowing more about the facility will help. If you plan to spend a lot of time there, then depending on the time of year you might want one with facilities for the kids and stuff like that. Maybe you'll want water and electric. The cabins can be pricey and small depending on the size of your party. Then to minimize gear, you'll want all the pots/pans/stoves/ beds/cots/etc. unless there's stuff you can bring. Do NOT plan on bringing any fuel - buy it here for safety reasons then use it all up before you return home.

Some hints will be nice.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 PM
nzfiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
Some ideas for the facility of what you are looking for would help. Are you just looking for a place to sleep? What will the party of folks be like, kids, no kids, ages. How many people in your group?

There are all types of campgrounds in the area and I could provide a list but knowing more about the facility will help. If you plan to spend a lot of time there, then depending on the time of year you might want one with facilities for the kids and stuff like that. Maybe you'll want water and electric. The cabins can be pricey and small depending on the size of your party. Then to minimize gear, you'll want all the pots/pans/stoves/ beds/cots/etc. unless there's stuff you can bring. Do NOT plan on bringing any fuel - buy it here for safety reasons then use it all up before you return home.

Some hints will be nice.
Hi Art,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, in retrospect, my post was a bit sparse of information....oops!

We would want to spend at least a week there, to visit Walt Disney World and the Kennedy Space Center, then we'll go up to Washington, DC to go to the Smithsonian and the White House. All up, just over two weeks.

We have one child, aged 11, but he'll be 12 by our planned travel dates in Sept/Oct. Our son has Asperger's, and he hates crowds and noise.

Thanks again,
Fiona

Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Excuse the previous post... it is SPAM and Crap that will get removed by an admin....

Now for some quick info. September/October would be a good time only in that most families with kids in the States will be back to school and you will only be competing for lodging with the other tourists that arrive around then. Things are filled up VERY FAST especially in Orlando.

I recommend you try starting with a popular campground system called "KOA". Most of these have the same types of facilities and most of them have what they call Kamping Kabins. These are log cabins with all the facilities you'd need (including a fridge) except for the bathroom/shower which will be close-by but require you to venture out. Some of these KOAs will have rental trailers that might include bath/shower facilities (but the fridge/stove, storage may not be as big). Some might also have something call a Yurt (a large domed modern tent/cabin that looks like a Mongolian tent). These all should be able to protect you from any elements. Here is their website is this: Camping & Camp Sites | KOA Campgrounds. Hopefully the site is self-explanatory - I recommend the Kissimee/Orlando (kih-SIM-me/or-LAN-doh) KOA facility to start, since it's only 15 miles south of most Orlando attractions and the roads to get there. Beware, all facilities fill up fast so you'll need to plan NOW!

You'll probably need a rental vehicle to get around, but you'll only need to bring clothing/luggage from home for all. All campgrounds will be able to provide you directions to grocery stores for pretty much anything you'd need. The rentals will be stocked with pots/pans, utensils, etc.

Washington, DC is another story. Campgrounds are not so close-by and there's a good chance you'll want to find a place but need to take the Subway/Trains into Washington, D.C. But the trains and subway are very nice (it's been about 10 years, but they were immaculate then and I hear they try hard to keep them that way - after all it's the nation's capital. But if you have a car, beware of the rush hours into and out of Wash. D.C. Most of Washington, D.C. becomes a ghost town after 5:00pm and it's like watching ants leaving their anthill in a hurry. The people. the traffic, is crazy for about an hour or two, then the place is empty. Maybe the museums and attractions might stay open longer, but I doubt it, if I recall correctly. Everything shuts down including all the restaurants and eateries in town (why stay open if everyone has gone home. For restaurants you need to go to the suburbs several miles away in all directions, or head back to the campground cabin and make your own dinner if you want to be more frugal (nothing wrong with saving your money for attractions). There is a tremendous amount to see in Washington D.C. You might even try a long distance trip to check out the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, but plan an all day drive in to the northeastern tip of Virginia through the Bridge/Tunnel and back around to the southeastern tip to Maryland, or vice versa.

Lots to plan, lots to know...

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
nzfiona

Thank you again, Art. The information you've given me is great - definitely food for thought!

Fiona
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Hello and welcome to the site! Some great info from Art. We are going to disney this summer ourselves, unfortunately not camping though. Whatever you decide on please keep us posted and let us know how it works out. Will be good information for us that plan to do the same in the future. Have fun!

Ford Mainline
Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Welcome to the forum.