From Pop-up to Travel Trailer - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

From Pop-up to Travel Trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default From Pop-up to Travel Trailer

We just spent the night in our new to us travel trailer and my daughter woke up to wet pillows and sleeping bag. My first thought is that we bought a leaky camper what are we going to do??? I did notice a lot of condensation but I didn't think that it would get everything this wet! We moved up to a travel trailer from a pop-up so we wouldn't be wet any more and now this.I started my research on-line to figure out what to do and lucky for me I found Camper Community. I found a lot of great advice and decided to join right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Where were you camping to get so wet inside? High humidity and running a heater will do this. The temperature difference if it's cold and humid outside will cause a great deal of condensation to form if you get the interior nice and warm. This will cause droplets to form as the air next to the walls "melts" from the heat.

You'll need to crack a few windows open a crack to help prevent this. and maybe a fan or two to circulate the air beyond what the furnace can to and prevent the air from standing still against the walls to condensate. Yup, it sounds wierd that you must open some vents or windows (aren't we trying to keep the cold air out?) But your furnace should be able to provide enough pressure and heat to offset this. Keep the furnace openings clear! It might take some experimentation to get the right combination of gaps, but you'll need to do something or you'll experience growing mold on the walls and corners if too much condensation forms and you do nothing.

I know this is hard to prevent, but if you are in a sleeping bag and sleep right next to a wall, your bodyheat will condensate the trapped the cold air at the wall. Try to sleep closer to the edge of the bed so the heated and circulated air can get behind the sleeping bag and prevent condensation.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Camper

We were camping in Ohio on a very cold night and we had the heater really turned up. It was our 1st time in a Travel Trailer so I guess we learned the hard way. The worst spots are in the 2 small bunks where the kids sleep, not much air flow back there I guess. Still a little frustrated but I guess we will figure it out as we go. It's time to winterize the camper and put it away till next spring anyway. Thank you for all the great advice.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
_
Camper Type: None

No air flow - there's the problem. Humans expel lots of moisture laden warm air while breathing. Soon as it hits the cold wall, it condensates. Just a fan on low speed circulating the air should take care of the condensation.

In our old hybrid I had to install fans to keep the bed ceilings from turning into a downpour.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Like happiestcamper recommends, fans to circulate the air is what should help a lot. If your furnace keeps the interior comfortable then just use fans that do not heat but moves the air around (or your kids hot breaths). This way you won't be running into circuit breaker problems because the extra heating elements can use a lot of AC.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Camper

Will I need extra fans in the bunk areas, as this seems to be the worst area?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
_
Camper Type: None

You can get some 12 volt fans at Camping World - or get one from Wal-Mart that runs of batteries. just a gentle breeze aimed at the bunks will work.