Hello all! Newbie! Ventura CA - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Hello all! Newbie! Ventura CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Hello all! Newbie! Ventura CA

Looking forward to getting great advice from the rv pros.

I'm in the process of buying and living in a travel trailer for the next 6 months while I figure out my job situation. Anybody my age (27) doing this full-time? I'm sick of the high rent out here and figured I can save a lil cash, plus pay for something I can keep and own.

Anyways Im ranting......looking forward to the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

This is getting to be a popular alternative for many younger types and not just retirees. The trailers have so much better amenities and features these days that if one wants to live in one, they can enjoy much of the creatures comforts of a stickhouse without the high expenses of a house or rental. Campgrounds can be much less expensive especially if you join a membership or discount camping program. (Don't jump at the first one you see).

Don't be bashful about questions. In the RV world the dumbest question is the one that isn't asked.

Warning that the outlay for a trailer is expensive up front, for the trailer and something decent to tow with. There's a lot to learn about what's the best combination and there's lots of gadgets and widgets that you can waste you money on, so be careful about going over board. After all, just because it fits in your rig doesn't mean it won't cause your rig to get overweight. Truck scales will become your friend.

Good luck to you and as you can read, any of us can rant up there with the best of them. It's better to rant than remain ignorant.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Camper

Thanks for the info. Got a tow vehicle already (my truck) and I'll prolly go used on the trailer (doing my homework). Looking for something between 21-24ft with at least one slide out. But trailers are going for decent prices around here....

Old 10-21-2010, 05:54 AM
_
Camper Type: None

Welcome aboard
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Camping Guru

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Know your weight ratings (especially Rear Axle, Gross, Tow, and Combined Gross ratings) and you want whatever it is to be under those weights because you'll want some margin. Me and plenty of others have been burned by only looking at one or two numbers and trusting the brochures or the salesperson only looking to make the sale and leaving you with a weight problem. I was able to fix mine as others have, but most just tow overweight and wait until the extra stress breaks something (it's happened, too).
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Camper

Hi Chris, Welcome to the forums.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Camping Guru

Eh Chris. 24, so young! We are all here to look after one of our own! Times are tough I know that. So do many more! How are things going now that things are getting colder? Anything we can do to help, let us know!