New to the Community, but need assistance already! - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

New to the Community, but need assistance already!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default New to the Community, but need assistance already!

I recently bought an '04 Fleetwood Wildnerness Advantage 31' fifthwheel. I will probably take it out for the first time next spring as it is being garaged for the winter. I want to put a 3' platform on the back of it and carry a Yamaha 650 VStar motorcyle which weights about 640 lbs. Does anyone know if this is feasible, or if it will make it pull badly? The person I bought it from thinks it will mess up the balance which will not pull well or weave. I have seen them on the road, but have never talked to anyone who has done it. Any ideas or suggestions ? Thanks, Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Like anything else that you add to your trailer it will ADD weight, I know that seems obvious but the reason I say this is beacuse your adding roughly 700 pounds to the ass end, this WILL effect travel as it will take 700 pounds off your truck that you cannot adjust for!

Our fifth wheeled members will be able to say more about this but you do have an advantage over us Travel Trailer guys, you can add a trailer at the back!

From what I understand you are allowed to travel with a Fifth Wheel trailer and an additional trailer off the bumper, assuming of cousre it's safe!

However according to road laws us Travel Trailer guys cannot do the same..
You figure that one out???

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Default added weight

you need your GVRW for the trailer and the truck, then see if it will put you over. that includes everything you'll load on the camper, adding 1 700 lb item will take away a lot from what up can pack. IF your OK there, you need to see if adding that much weight on the back will make the front to light, truck won't handle right and could be dangerous. i think you should have about 20% of the total trailer weight as the hitch weight. there's a lot to figure adding that much on the back.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

i have seen them back there also. do your homework. check out the weight on everything, as previously stated. find out if the hitch ,in the back, will hold that much weight. will it void your warranty. if you still have one.
towing an extra trailer is not allowed in a lot of states. in the east it is not an option. again do some research and find out what states you can or can not.