Same long road, different scenery - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Welcome To Camper Community Forums

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Same long road, different scenery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Smile Same long road, different scenery

Like a lot of you guys, I'm working that long trail towards full time RV living. Conventionally it's a math problem, broken at times by "life" causing you to recalculate, and, it seems, always pushing that launch-date back further. I'm taking a different path, but the journey is very much the same.

I started out as a kid who didn't know three driving-vacations a year was unusual. Before I was 15, I'd seen 46 states and PR twice. I thought everyone saw the world from the back window. I actually grew to enjoy the smell of diesel fumes; they generally meant dinner was nearby, out on the road.

Then, for some reason I started chasing women, started a family, that didn't work so well, and started looking back. I love the travel; the new towns, the annoyance of having to learn a new city, and the fun you can have when you get lost there.

Way too late for dreams of being a fighter pilot, I had to re-light the last old dream I had: touring the USA like when I was a kid. Now this is me: CounterMoon.org

In 1978 I was fiddling with computers; wire-wrapping breadboards, making Z80's and various controller-things. I was the only one around doing it; Microsoft wouldn't be a household word for nearly a decade. I had this dream to tour the USA, take jobs on the road, and (somehow) get money downloaded to me. There were no ATMs, then. And staying in touch with the net was $6/minute!

In a vocational trade, I managed to get a 14' cargo van, brand new. Clean and perfect- no one has spilled oil (or worse) in there. It has computers, a furnace, ventilation, storage, all kinds of comfortable in there, minus a few things. No wasted space, and no cheesy cardboard walls.

When Mom no longer needs me as a caregiver, I plan to get underway. I expect I'll be on full-time, probably headed north someplace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Camper

Thanks for posting. I wish that after you no longer have to be a caregiver that you will achieve your life long goal.

I read your blog and smiled at the story about the RVer that had to withstand Ike. For what it is worth you might find this blog interesting reading.

Ruide

My Mods and Pictures and My Weekly Blog
Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Camper

Well thank you; it's kind of you to say. And I appreciate you coming to the website. I tend to collect nifty part and their ads, but I don't work for anyone but me. Like the $300 Walmart laptops- I just have a lot of friends that would want to know. And the improved RF antenna- I got that from someone here!

I'll take a look at that blog.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 AM
_

Welcome aboard

Would love to see pictures of the project!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Camper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestcamper View Post
Welcome aboard

Would love to see pictures of the project!
And as easy as that, they appear!

See More Right Here!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
_

Awesome! Now all you need is some solar panels on the roof!