Toyota Tundra pulling 5th wheel. - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Toyota Tundra pulling 5th wheel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

"I don't have a problem Art, you're the one with the problem. Learn how to talk to people nicely then you can address others and your not worth one more second of my time"

Are you serious? What are you, 18? This is the best you can do? You are going to ignore my point to bring this up? The guilty will always get defensive! Your attitude is too common to handle with kid gloves. Most people I've met apologize for their ignorance then do something about it whether they hear if from me or anyone else and at whatever tone was used. Wrong is wrong and when it involves tons of potential danger, well, you don't get the message.

This sounds exactly like a person with a problem. If you decide you are gonna remain ignorant and think you are fine and NOT know your weights for towing, then you don't get it. And the best you can do is complain about my writing style which was only trying to discount your unsafe post that you are towing fine and you don't know it, if you don't have the evidence of weight numbers? Gee, I can only hope you do have the numbers and are safe.

But so far, it's people who think like you that create the 40% of people who tow overweight and run the risk of something breaking prematurely. If they don't know they are ignorant. But if you don't know and don't want to know, then what does that make you. I'll let you pick the word since you are more sensitive.

Am I serious? Heck yes! Serious as a heart attack because this is what happens to people on the other end of YOUR problem if something breaks and they pay the price because you can't panic stop as well, or worse yet, some other hardware breaks and then you have just lost control of the tons of fun you are now towing and now becomes a bigger hazard for others. I have seen in person and pictures, broken shackles, shocks, hangers, welds and flat tires from others who reported they found they were overweight. I already told you about the poor sole who didn't get covered by insurance for his mishap because of it.

The best news is that this is a forum for sensible people to communicate about fun and serious topics and I'm touched you won't spend one more second of time with me. I don't have to say any more. Maybe you'll listen to others who might communicate more your style, but if you still don't do anything, then what?

In the meantime, good luck to you and those around you. I hope we never meet "on the road" especially if you're overloaded.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Gotta feel like love.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

To Artmart I would guess that more than 1/2 the vechicle out there are over towing. I know for myself I'm at the limit with camper and at times hitch my boat up. I can't justify purchasing a big truck to haul my camper maybe 6 times a year and drive to work the rest. I do keep my vechicle's up, and use proper hitching. I see other's pushing the envelope way more than me on any given weekend at the lake. But like me if at local campground less than 10 mile or big water 65 miles, most are working family people and with the short camping season it hard to justify big rigs.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Camping Guru

Thanks RKSolid, but you're actually posting it to the forum and that's your decision, but I didn't see anywhere you said you were fine and implied you don't worry about it and are even not necessarily within weight limits, nor recommending it either. You recognize your weights could be over but decide to do it anyway. That's a much better answer than "I'm fine". That original poster might not be looking for "just fine". Like I've said many times, there is no such thing as a dumb question, but beware the dumb answers.

If someone takes the time to ask a forum for advice and anyone implies don't worry about being overweight because they are doing it is doing a severe injustice to someone who might sound like they are looking for compliance and information to then make their decision. I had a diesel truck that was overweight but was able to solve my problem, because I decided it was better to lessen the risk. Since I know from others of many others that have done the same, the experience is worth passing on since others did it because of a mishap. I was only guilty of being overweight until I fixed it.

There are plenty of other things that rig owner's don't do right, like driving with the propane turned on to run the furnace or the fridge, or drive faster than what most trailer tires are rated (65mph), or overload the trailer or the truck just because there's room in the cabinets or airspace, but in the case of towing a trailer with a 1/2 ton anything the only good, acceptable or fine answer is to ensure weight ratings are maintained properly. Everything else is a personal decision and some risk.

I've been corrected enough times and sometimes with some ire and am old enough to respect someone that comes up with a much better answer, but I will never return an answer with disrespect and personal attacks just because I prefer to do what I want. In the case of truck and trailer weights, I've seen too many mishaps to go there and that's what I think the original poster was trying to decide. Nevertheless that the deserving answer, everything else should be an opinion. I'm guessing the first time you have a mishap and it's related to weight, you might change your mind and in the meantime as I read your post you know you are not fine and have "weighed it" (pun intended) against other things that are more important right now.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I'm fine with my set up,towing and vechicles. I've be towing campers and equipment for 20 + years without a mishap. No matter how well your unit is set up to tow, alot about towing comes down to the driver and there ability to handle the load, read the road and weather coditions. The best rig and equiment doesn't have a chance without a qualified driver.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Addicted Camper

http://www.toyota.com/upfitters/pdfs...Capacities.pdf
This is to the OP. Here is the spec's on your Tundra. Pay attention to the payload weight of the truck and the pin weight of the trailer you want.

Hope it helps with your decision. Good luck and happy camping. Bob
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke

Last edited by dogbone; 11-01-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Camping Guru

And don't forget to consider the weight of the equipment and you might want to allow for some margin too.

Regarding the ball in the bed. This would require a fifth wheel adapter to convert the pin plate to a new fitting to allow the connection to the ball. The fifth wheel owners I've talked to find that the manufacturer does not recommend this. The stress that occurs is different than the pin/plate configuration and can cause extensive damage to the front cap welds. I don't know why, but I do know the manufacture will void your warranty if you've done this.

I'll note I've had my share of these stories too. After all I've learned in trailering these days, it's a wonder I'm still in it. But lessen the risk and you'll do better. Increase the risk and you'll be paying for them.

That said, there have been some that have done this. I don't know how they're doing, but just know it's done. There are also those who tow overweight, drive to fast, yada, yada, yada. We just try to provide information to allow you to make the best decision for yourself.

Rksolid... you are so right when it comes to driving experience. Trailering requires a different mindset in driving and how to drive. I see too many who don't make that difference and some of them are on the side of the road. I've been trailering and hauling for over 20 years, too. and other than bad tires on the rig, I've had no mishaps. But I do know plenty with breakdowns caused by being overweight, driving too fast, front cap breaks in welds and other breakages that really makes you think about what you're doing.

I decided safety came first for my decision. Others use other priorities. But none of them matters if you don't base them on proper information.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL