Weight Distribution Hitch - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Weight Distribution Hitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Weight Distribution Hitch

Ok, lets talk hitches.

I was told by several that I should invest in a good weight distribution system for more effective handling and towing.

If I were to get one, what would be the best to get? I have heard good things about the equalizer hitch and I have heard mention about the Hensley hitch. What is better, pros and cons of any hitch you use or know about?

Will a weight distributions system make that much different when towing a travel trailer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

The system will MOST definatly help in towing especially with sway on the highway.

As for which one is better I will leave that up to the more knowledgable people here but I would recommend one for sure!

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Camping Fanatic

Here is some info on this also. I dont have one for my current camper, but is tops on the list to buy this year. I get a good bit of swaying when towing, especially beside 18 wheelers. I have been researching the different brands, and here are my thoughts.

The equalizer costs around $500, last time I checked. They are not the cheapest, but they are not the most expensive. This hitch is nice because it works as a Weight Distributing Hitch and Anti-sway bar all in one and one of the few I know of that don't require holes drilled into the trailer hitch.

I havent used this one before, but its what I plan to buy. Maybe some others here could share their experiences with this brand, or others they have used.

Ford Mainline
Old 03-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Camper

I have one and don't have any complaints. But I don't have anything to compare it to because this is the only one I have ever used.
I found one here for about $400 and I believe free shipping. RVWholesalers.com , Towing , Equal-i-zer Hitches and Accessories , Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Addicted Camper

Mikey, There are a couple questions that you need to address.

First, are you currently having problems with sway while driving on the highway? If that is the problem then adding sway control like this might solve your problem. Of course if your tongue weight is 10 to 15% of the trailer weight you might not even need a sway bar.

Second - is the issue that the tongue weight of the trailer is depressing the rear of your tow vehicle so it is not level? If that is happening then a WDH is one answer. Of course you have to first determine if your trailer AND hitch is capable of having a WDH attached to it. Check with your trailer dealer and look at the TV receiver. If you can use a WDH you will see two set of weight numbers on the receiver. I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH which has built in sway control. It is very heavy duty but it also more expensive than some of the other units on the market.

Ruide
Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Thanks for the info guys.

I do tend to feel it swaying a bit, but only when passing an 18 wheeler or something big like that. It doesnt do this all the time.

It is definitely not level, when I hook the camper up, it squats it down pretty good. The dealer I said I should get one, but I didnt want to spend that kind of money then, but I do need one.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Addicted Camper

Mikey, I agree that you do need a WDH with sway control. If you have not done this already you need to weigh the trailer (fully loaded) and find out your tongue weight. You will need that in order to determine what WDH bars you need to order. Of course you should also check and make sure you are still under the WDH weight limit for your hitch.

Ruide
Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
_
Camper Type: None

I agree, a WDH makes it a lot better when towing. But don't make my stupid mistake. Whenever I check in, I remove the WDH because I don't want it on when I'm backing into a site (same with sway control - the jack knife effect of backing in will bend them). Anyway, one time I raised the jack, and removed the bars. So far, so good. I missed the crucial step before I drove off - RAISE THE JACK!

Fortunately, I was able to use the spare tire jack to raise it up and remove the bent jack. And the campground had just done some tree cut downs, so I was able to roll a big log under the trailer at the site and put it down (almost perfectly level).

Now I have a new jack, and always double check before driving off.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Man, thats terrible happiestcamper. Welcome to the site too by the way!

Sounds like you had a bad break, although many things in your favor working for ya, could have been much more of a challenge.

I didnt realize you would need to remove them to prevent jack knifing. How much trouble is that, to remove and put back on? I thought it was quite a process installing these things, or is that just the initial install?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
_

The initial setup is the most work. You want to get your vehicle and trailer on a level surface. Unhitch, then get your trailer level. Adjust the hitch on the truck so that it is level to where the tongue hitch is, use a yardstick to measure the distance of your rear wheel well to the ground. Raise the trailer, and couple. Once you have the coupling secured, raise the trailer as much as needed to attach the chains (yes, it will raise the rear of the truck at the same time). Once you have the chains on, raise the jack. Measure the wheel well height again - it should be as close as possible as when there was no trailer. If still too low, raise both again and move the chains up another link.

Once you know which chain link to use, it's rather quick to put on (and quicker to take off).

The advantage is you have now the tongue weight to all four tires instead of the just the rear.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Thanks for the info guy.. The dealer I said I should get one, but I didnt want to spend that kind of money then, but I do need one.
The dealer we saw Mikey explaied we would probably need a WDH but he didn't mention the Hensley Hitch, and thank goodness at the price of them ..after doing some research on WDH's...

Stephen
Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Camper

We recently picked up a new Wildwood Xlite rig at RV-Wholesalers. LOVE it and the Equal-i-zer WD hitch. Only one thing is bugging me: seems like with the rig hitched the truck (07 Sierra, ext cab, short bed, 5.3 Iron block V8) seems to 'pull' to the right. W/O the rig, no 'pull'. The hitch makes some really LOUD popping and scraping sounds, especially from the left bar. Could the friction on the left bar be set too tight?

Last edited by pjeffreysr1; 10-08-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Sounds to me like you have the hitch too tight, try losining the chains one notch

http://www.prostateextremeteam.com/gifs/ribbon_sm.gif 2001 GMC Yukon 27' Shasta
Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Camper

I found that if you are having difficulties backing with the sway bars attachec that the small ball it attaches too on the trailer hitch is not in the proper place.
the measurement on my sway bars were 24" ball to ball
Old 10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Camper

the tension chains should be the same on both sides/ do you have sway bars / they will often "pop" if the balls they are attached to are not properly spaced