RV Generator - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

RV Generator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Default RV Generator

I have been considering purchasing a generator for our camper. I have heard a lot of good things about the Honda's, but they are pretty expensive.

I dont know how many watts would be best either, but I will mostly use it for lights, TV and sometimes the AC.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Camper

Default I would go with Honda

I have been contemplating the same thing for awhile now. I have a 5000 watt generator in the garage to run the house in an outage, but its overkill (and heavy to move) for camping. I have heard nothing but good things about the Honda Generators. They're quiet (no disturbing other campers in the woods) and run like 8-12 hours on a tank of gas. You'll have to look at the wattage for your A/C. My best guess would be to get the 3000 watt. But if you want to just bring a fan, the 2000 watt will run the microwave and all other things. Hope this helps.

troy
Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I have heard the same, go with the Honda. They do run quiet and are said to be every penny worth the extra money. You may not use it that often, but my opinion is that you would get what you pay for with one of the cheapers $200-$300 models.

Ford Mainline
Old 02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Addicted Camper

Harold, The fact that you want to run your AC will take you out of the 2000 watt and into the 3000 watt range. You have two options. You can go with the Honda EU3000is or the Yamaha EF3000iSEB.

I have the Honda EU3000is and have been very happy with it.

Ruide
Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Camping Fanatic

Ruide, does it run quiet as I have heard? Do you use it enough to know about how many hours you get with a tank of gas?

Ford Mainline
Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Addicted Camper

Ctfortner, I'll answer the easy question first. Although I've never run it until it was empty, it is suppose to run for 7 hours when it running wide open or a lot longer if the Eco-Throttle is on.

Now to noise... At seven feet away the noise level is 49 dB with the Eco-Throttle and 59 dB at its rated load. Putting that it perspective, a converstation is about 55 dB, your TV at home is 60dB, a lawnmover 92 dB and a circular saw 115 dB.

Unfortunately noise is relative especially in different environments. I have no problems running the generator while I'm camping by myself. However, while I don't have a problem warning up my Hummer engine or running my AC, I would not think of running the generator at a camp ground even during the day just becasue it is a "generator".... Hummm I probably need to compare noise levels and see it there is a big difference or is it just my perception.

Ruide
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Camping Guru

Default Honda EU2000i or Honda EU3000is

I am pretty sure that the Honda eu2000i would work for you too. I met a guy that had one for his 5ver and he said it would run his a/c and some lights with no problems, and it is lightweght, which is what you want.

It will not run the A/C and the microwave at the same time but I could live without that.

As Ruide mentioned, the Honda EU3000is will run everything, and if I am not mistaken, when using the eco-throttle at full load, its about as quiet as the Honda EU3000is. The 3000 series is about 130 pounds.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Addicted Camper

Send a message via MSN to grace

Our neighbors with the RV has a big generator. During the last hurricane, it ran his electricity and his neighbor next to him. It is a noisy one, but I don't think that matters for running the house electricity. But a smaller generator for the campground would be perfect because of the noise.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Camper

One thing to be concerned with is whether the EU2000 has enough amps to start up your AC. I've heard of folks having to connect the AC directly to the generator versus going through the converter because of the extra draw from the converter.

The good news is that if it did not have enough power, you could buy another one and with a twining cable and external tank you would be in generator heaven.... plus the EU2000's are so light and easy to move around.

Ruide
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Camping Guru

That would definitely be worth double checking.

Reliance sells a RV parallell kit for the EU2000 and EU3000, so you can hook up two generators for combined power as Ruide mentioned.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default kipor is another option

I have also read good things about the kipor 2000 generator.

All the websites I been to list the Kipor 2000 at 54 db no load, and 59 db with a full load, and the EU2000 is 53-59 db, so I think they would be about the same.

Just another option while your researching.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Addicted Camper

As you are looking at 2000 watt generators other than Honda and Yamaha, I would make sure that they have the ability where two can be connected to produce twice the wattage. That way if one is not adequate you can purchase another one.

Ruide
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Camping Guru

Good point Ruide, I just double checked that, and the kipor IG2000P does, the others may to. A little more inf on that here
Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Addicted Camper

Send a message via MSN to grace

I saw the information about the generators. It looks like a perfect answer for an RV. It's small and lightweight, but what about the price? Is that too high of a price or just right? I have never seen it before, so I wouldn't know.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Wow, great information guys. I bookmared this thread, this info will definitely be handy for future reference. Thanks