88 Starcraft Lift Mechanism Help.... - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

88 Starcraft Lift Mechanism Help....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default 88 Starcraft Lift Mechanism Help....

i just bought my first pop up tent trailer recently. it's a 88 starcraft starflyer it's in really good shape and all but seem to have one little issue with the lift mechanism..... the guy i bought it off showed my how to lower it but i never got to see how to raise it and i heard that if i over crank it when raising i can start snapping cables.. now the problem is when i go to turn the crank to raise it there is nothing to stop the handle from spinning back and having the roof and all come falling back down, i thought there would be some kind of "ratchet" that would keep the roof up while cranking but there doesn;'t seem to be. but if i crank it all the way up untill it doesn;'t turn anymore and give the crank another half turn it will stay up on it's own but i'm worried that from walking in/out of the camper and shaking it that that crank can very easily wiggle it's way loose and have the roof fall back down.... and or that cranking i that extra half turn is putting pressure on the cable and not good for it??

what do i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I had a Coleman with a ratcheting crank. I was taught that when you see the sides almost taut (not fully taut to the point of stretched), then that's when it's up. There was also a "Release" for the ratchet that then allowed me to lower it. I recall it wanted to come down by itself, but I was also taut to lower it slowly, engage the safety catch, reposition the material, then resume the lowering.

I thought all units did this. I would hope that some kind of "stop" be present to prevent the collapse you describe. Even if it were quiet there should be some kind of a catch or release by the handle. Did the prior owner not provide the manual? I hate when they don't store the thing with the rig - PUT THE THING AWAY EACH TIME.

Maybe a quick call or trip to a dealer that sells Starcraft popup trailers might be possible. Ask for a service manager.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear