Electric Heater - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Electric Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Send a message via Yahoo to kc8pny
Default Electric Heater

I was wondering what everyone uses for heat in the fall as far as electric heaters. I bought a new fold down in 2004 but decided I would not need a furnace but was I ever wrong, I am finding myself camping into Mid November. I use a Mr Buddy propane heater but I refuse to run it while we are sleeping and need a good electric heater that will help with keeping the chill off. I use the Mr Buddy propane to take the chill off and will leave it on until we go to bed. It seems I cant find a good electric heater to keep the chill off. I have bought several from walmart and they do dont anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

We use a ceramic electric heater (it is small and I think it was about $18 from Walmart a few years ago) and it has worked well but we have a 23' travel trailer (no canvas). We run it on low heat and it keeps the trailer comfortable even with the outside temp in the mid 40's
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I was going to post the same question. I have a furnace in my 22ft Gulf Stream but get jolted awake every couple of hours during the night when it starts up. Do most Travel Trailer owners use auxillary heaters to keep the edge off the chill. I would think this saves a good amount of propane.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Electric heater - be super sfe.

We often use an electric heater in the fall. But I ALWAYS make sure that the ONLY electric heaters used in our rig are equipted with a "tip over" safety switch, as well as an High temp" sw (abt 350 deg). If the unit is bumped so any part of the base is lifted more than 1/8", the heater TOTALLY SHUTS DOWN, until it is stable again. My family is too valuable to spare $5.00 on the cost of a GOOD heater. (Don't use the heater if it has ONLY a high temp switch. If it were knocked over onto a cloth having oil or solvent on it, or some synthetics, they can and will ignite at a sustained 350.) AND keep ALL conmbustable at least 36" from the front of the heater. Learn "NOT TO BURN." I also have a dedicated outlet for the heater which goes DIRECTLY to the park post outlet - 20 amp. Taht way I can use the heater and the microwave, at the same time!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

As an additional tip abt the heater we use, I got it at Lowe's. I Think we paid abt $20-$25. The associate that helped me didn't realize the heater had a tip sw until I showed her. I pushed against the top of the front and heard the 'click'. She had just had 2 hunters looking for one w a tip sw.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Camper

My heater does have the tip over switch. I wanted it because the grandkids are with us sometimes and they do knock things over now and again. It was much quieter than the propane furnace and cheaper to run. I just replaced our 23' travel trailer with a much newer 35' Winnebago/Itasca Suncruiser so I don't know what the heater will do with this, or if it will be needed. I pick it up in a few days - the fun begins.

Last edited by charlieo; 09-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

charlieo,
Sounds like a big step up, no fooling around with baby steps. Have fun with the new rig, we're testing the electric heater therory this weekend, temps are near 12 C or mid 40F.
Stay between the ditches.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Camper

I need to help out the oil companies. I feel so sorry for BP and all
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Camper

I use an "eden pure" , its about the size of a small cooler, and a little pricy ( like 270-400 ish ) it works off infared tubes, it is the best investment i ever made for fall camping. I leave it on 24-7 inside the camper, it does NOT get hot on the outside at all, it is very quiet, and i think its rated for like 1000 sq ft, type it in to google if your interested. I sleep comfortably at night and do not worry about it at all.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

The Eden Pure is getting rave reviews from a lot of users. It is pricey but it's alleged to be one of the most efficient heaters on the market. I believe they have 3 sizes for different size rooms. I believe the sizes are for 200 sq ft, 400 sq ft and 1000 sq ft. One of the biggest benefits is the outside is supposed to be cool to the touch and therefore pretty safe. Did I mention they are expensive? Some RV owners I now, prefer two smaller units rather than one big one to control different parts of their rig.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

We use one in our 30' 5 ver. I don't remember the make, but we have had it about 10 years now. I heats the whole trailer when it stays above 40 degrees outside. It has a thermostat and tip over safety feature. We are headed ut there this weekend, I'll get the name.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Camper

We are still using the electric heater in our "new"35' motorhome. The Itasca has a heat pump and also gas heat. The heat pump/AC unit is at and under the head of the bed so it is kinda noisy when it comes on. The electric heater is still the quietest option for us at night and it heats well with the temps in the low 40's.