Battery won't charge - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Battery won't charge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Default Battery won't charge

Ok, so my daughter bought a 2006 FEMA trailer recently. I believe it's a Fleetwood Pioneer. The lights kept going dim and then the A/C would not come on. I found that the battery was out of juice, so I swapped it out with the one from my camper (we stay next to each other). A few days later, same thing happened. So I know the battery is not being charged. I checked the fuses and they are all good, so I don't know what the problem is. I also don't understand why my 12v lights still work when I unhook my battery to swap it with hers, but her lights go out with her battery unhooked. From what I have read here, it may be the converter, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to test it? Can I use solar power just on the battery to keep it charged? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Camper

ooooooohh
maybe you must change one
Old 09-16-2010, 05:29 AM
_

The converter isn't providing 12 volts - that's why her lights won't stay on when you disconnect the battery, and why the battery isn't charging.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

Default Batteries are hard to kill

First look for any fuses or circuit breakers. The converter should be located near. Find the converter and notice if unit is plugged into a wall plug. Get a volt meter and check battery voltage. Allow battery to become more charged, and check battery voltage. Check the fuses. Frank
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Camper

My 02.

Not all converters are the same. Some need to have a battery attached to work - some don't.

As far as testing the converter - test the output of the converter - if nothing then check the converter for a blown fuse (probably attached to the converter itself) - if the fuse is intact she might need a new converter - if so make sure you get a "smart" converter like a progressive dynamic - not expensive and easy to install.

Hope this helps.