broken cable repair on pop up - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

broken cable repair on pop up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Default broken cable repair on pop up

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of things, I committed the ultimate rookie mistake -- was trying to make an adjustment after lowering the top. Needed to raise it up just a bit. However, I had latched one of the roof corners. I am now the none-too-proud owner of a camper with a broken roof cable. I suppose this is a good learning opportunity but one I wasn't looking forward to having.

How hard is it to repair a broken cable? Does anyone know where I can find instructions for a Fleetwood? The cable broke inside the gear box of the crank, so I will need to open that up and make some fixes. Is this something that is possible to repair at home?

A close friend with very high mechanical abilities (a commercial and residential building contractor, but obviously not an RV mechanic) would handle the fix, while I mostly stayed out of the way.

Last edited by amcdeac; 06-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Don't feel to bad. I did the same thing to my coachman, when it was new. They fixed it under warranty.
I don't think it would be to hard as long as you can get to and see how the cable was run. I know they go around pulleys. Just make sure you remember how they ran and replace the cable.
good luck.
2003 F 350 crew cab srw
6.0 powerstroke
Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Go to this page below. I hope this helps you out. Scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see a PDF file "Coleman Lift Systems Repair Manual - 1968 - 2000 Various Models" I know yours is an 07 but this still may apply to yours lift system too. Or at least get you started in the right direction. Good Luck!!

Manuals - Coleman Camping Trailers
Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I can get this done with help from my friend, but I might chalk this one up to STUPID and contact Complete RV is Denver North Carolina's Premier Independent RV Repair, RV Service, and Custom RV Upgrade Solution. I don't think I would find satisfaction in this repair so I might need to leave it to the pros.

My local Fleetwood dealer can't get me in for 3 weeks and forecasts a price that is double the rough quotes from two other shops.