Satellite TV and your camper - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Recreational Vehicles > RV / Camper Discussions

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Satellite TV and your camper

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Default Satellite TV and your camper

Now you are saying to yourself, hey I'm camping, why would I want to take my dish along? If I were tent camping, sleeping under the stars, bringing a dish along would probably not be very practical, but when you are pulling a camper and spending a lot of time in it, then a satellite system isnít out of the question. There arenít many locations, especially in the United States where you can not pick up either a Dish Network or Direct TV satellite signal. Now there are many different ways to set up a satellite system in your camper. Some are inexpensive but others can get very expensive. Itís all up to you on what you choose. Iím on the cheap side, so Iíll discuss the inexpensive first and discuss the more expensive later. Please add comments if you agree disagree or have information that I havenít covered, including experiences with your satellite systems or equipment.

Step 1: Decide what system to use. My decision is based on what I use at home. When we first started camping, we used Direct TV, so that is what I set up in the camper. Since then we have changed to Dish Network, so I currently have Dish Network set up in our camper. I do believe Direct TV was easier to set up, as you didnít have to worry about splitting 2 satellite signals, as you do with Dish Network When I ordered my home Dish Network receivers, I purchased an extra receiver that I leave in the camper. The price adds $6 to your monthly bill, which isnít bad.
Most campers that have been built in the last several years have an outside satellite hookup. If you are using one of these connections, ensure that the cable connection you are using does not have an amp booster on it, as it may damage your satellite receiver. If your camper doesnít have an outside connection and you donít want to re-wire your camper, then you may just use the good old, open window method and route the satellite dish coax directly to your dish receiver.
Ok, so now we have a dish, receiver, coax (and hopefully a TV). Donít forget to bring the satellite receiver remote, as you will need this. Without it, you may have a hard time finding your settings that will be discussed later in this article.
You will also need a spare dish. If you donít have a spare, you can purchase them from EBay, Camping World or even flea markets. I was lucky enough to get one from my sister, as they went from Dish Network to Cable and didnít have a need in their old dish. I have mine mounted on a Portable tripod. These can also be purchased from EBay, Camper sales, etc. It just makes it easy to set up and they are portable, folding up for easy storage. Note: before you purchase a dish, make sure that it supports the type satellite system you are going to use. There are generic dish systems that will work with both Dish Network and Direct TV, so you will need to research before you buy.

Step 2: This is where the some expense may come in. There are several ways to attack this step. The cheapest way is to input your campground zip code into the menu setup on you satellite receiver. Once you input the zip code, the receiver will give you 2 setting, Azimuth and Elevation. Azimuth is the angle relating to the horizontal positioning of the dish. The angle is expressed in terms of degrees, with North = 0 degrees, South = 180 degrees. Elevation is the angle above the horizon and is also expressed in terms of degrees. This is the angle by which the dish must be ďtilted Up or DownĒ in relation to the theoretical horizon, in order to position it precisely for the desired satellite. Once you have this information, then go to your dish and position it using a good compass and the elevation settings on the actual dish. It takes some practice, but once you do it a couple times, you will get the hang of it. Itís best to take a look at the ďlay of the landĒ before you begin, as you donít want the less amount of obstructions possible. With either Dish Network or Direct TV, the dish will be pointed towards the Southern skies.

For most, this is a good setup, but does require practice and patience. You can also purchase a Sat Finder. You can find them anywhere that sells satellite systems. Camping World also stocks them. They sell for about $20-$50. They eliminate the need in getting the Azimuth and Elevation. They work like an SWR meter that is used to tune a CB radio. The stronger the signal, the closer to the satellite. Again takes some practice, but isnít hard to figure out once you do it a few times.

Camping World also stocks an item called, Align-A-Site Satellite Finder. This lets you see what you dish sees to avoid obstacles before you set up. I have had a couple fellow campers swear by this item, but I have not ever used one. They also cost about $170.00, so not expensive, it does add some cost to you setup.

Now if you want ease, then you may go with the more expensive dishes. They mount on your camper/unit and find the satellites for you automatically. There are basically 2 type units. One unit only works in a stationary position; the other is constantly correcting and keeps the satellites locked in. These systems begin around $600.00 up to around $2000.00, with the later being fully automatic.

So as you can see, Satellite viewing is possible and the sky is the limit when choosing a set up.

EnjoyÖÖ

Last edited by ctfortner; 01-25-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default Reply:

wow, great information. Thank you Bil0830. Keep on writing such a great articles.

Last edited by camp219; 01-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Camper

Surfing the internet from Europe I found this forum, it is very like a 'camperforum' we have here in Holland.
I am interested in the satellite issue. We are planning to ship our RV to the United States and travel around for a year. Here in Europe we are watching satellite TV in our camper, but I am not sure if my dish, my receiver, and my screen will do in the USA. I intend to drive to a 'camperworld' store as soon as we arrive, and have them modify / install what we need. Would that be a good idea in your opinion? Of course I understand that we also need a provider like DirecTV, I suppose I could also buy a subscription at Camperworld.
I am looking forward to our trip to the USA this summer and watching the Olympic Games and the presidential elections on our TV!
Walter
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

We've debated for a few years about whether we should get the satellite on the trailer. Every spring our carrier sends a letter reminding us about temporary summer time service since we have a satellite dish at home. But I have been reluctant to get it because I am worried that my husband and grandchildren will just sit all day watching TV.

I want the kids to enjoy the outdoors and do what I feel are productive things. But I must admit when it is raining and we are all indoors, sometimes it might be nice to pass the time.

And of course, my husband keeps reminding me that if we got one I could watch my one and only soap opera. I think he just says that because he really wants the dish.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Camping Fanatic

Welcome Walter, all the way from the Netherlands.

You will have a couple of choices of satellite service here in the US, Directv and Dish Network. As mentioned you will need a dish, receiver and the subscription to one of them. Camping world will have what you need for the hardware, and I assume they can provide you the service subscription as well, but not sure on that part. I do think you will have to subscribe for 12 months of service though, thats what it usually is. How long are you planning to be here in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter2 View Post
Surfing the internet from Europe I found this forum, it is very like a 'camperforum' we have here in Holland.
I am interested in the satellite issue. We are planning to ship our RV to the United States and travel around for a year. Here in Europe we are watching satellite TV in our camper, but I am not sure if my dish, my receiver, and my screen will do in the USA. I intend to drive to a 'camperworld' store as soon as we arrive, and have them modify / install what we need. Would that be a good idea in your opinion? Of course I understand that we also need a provider like DirecTV, I suppose I could also buy a subscription at Camperworld.
I am looking forward to our trip to the USA this summer and watching the Olympic Games and the presidential elections on our TV!
Walter
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Ford Mainline
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Walter2, I agree with Todd. Camping World would be the place to go. The price may be a little high, but for what you mentioned, well worth it. Some fellow campers may think that having a satellite set up in a camper may be a bit over the top, but for the very reason you described, making your camper, mobile home or RV as comfortable as possible is a big PLUS, especially if you are going to being spending as much time in it as you mentioned. :thumbup2:
Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Camper

Default Thanks

Thank you for your reactions.
I really like this forum, you are very nice people. If we indeed decide to visit your country with our RV this year you will find more messages from me.
Greetings,
Walter Gerritsen
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA063384.JPG_3red.jpg (18.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Camping Guru

Walter, we would love to see you around the forum here, especially if your going to be doing all that traveling. You have to tell us about it and keep us posted, I have never know anyone to travel from the Netherlands to the US to go camping. That is great!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Camper

I have been unable to obtain DirectTv over the last 3 years when we winter in Arizona as we are Canadian and do not have a US social security number. Direct Tv will not allow the card to work if you are not a US citizen as they are concerned about pirate issues once we return to Canada I've been told (many times). We have resorted to hauling our Canadian "Starchoice" hardware with us, as well as using Campground/resort cable facilities which unfortunatly carry no Canadian news or sports content.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Camping Guru

Yeah, I can see there point wasy, there is a lot of that going on it seems (pirating). You are definitely at a slight disadvantage when camping in another country, if you watching their local cable. Do you use the tripod mount? We have used that, it works good, just get to the site and dial it in, if you have a clear view.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Camper

I carry a solid, well built camera tripod instead of a "dish" tripod. It is more compact, easier to set up/down, smaller and lighter.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

I recently seen a smaller tripod that was really compact and looked almost impossible to turn over. I found out the hard way on making sure that you secure the tripod, especially with a lot of wind, or pets running around the campground. I broke an LNB on one dish when it was blown over in a storm. I always use tent stakes now, but the tripod that I mentioned earlier wouldn't have the problem. I'll do some more research and see if I can get more details on this.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Motorhome

We rarely used a TV when we boon-dock camped. Had one of those TV/VCR cubes that we could throw a movie in if nasty weather blew in or needed to entertain the kids when on the road.

When we converted to fulltime: called Directv and they moved our 'home' box to the RV (which already had a basic receiver dish attached). Was wild to watch Los Angeles news coverage/southern california fires last fall...while we were in the mid-west.
The best: watching the Giants win the Superbowl...while sitting at Anza Borrego Desert State park.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: None

Send a message via MSN to grace

Satellite TV is something we can't live without. It sounds like you have the perfect arrangement with the RV and satellite. We have Cox here for cable television, so we can watch everything. You mentioned sports so I guess that one of your favorites. We don't have a TV in the van, but some people do. They sit right in the middle front of the van, and the children can see the TV from all around. It keeps them entertained when you're driving, or traveling state to state.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 AM
_
Camper Type: None

When me and the Mrs. retire and spend more time on the road (maybe even fulltime?) I will outfit for satellite. Right now, we have a little TV, but I've only pulled it out a few times over the past several years - final round of US Open last year, NFL playoffs 2 years ago, and final round of Masters 3 years ago. The kids have learned to play cards, chess, checkers, etc. to stay entertained when we're camping for a week.

Since it's an old tv, it probably can't get over the air signal anymore
Closed Thread