Crock Pot Cooking While Camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Crock Pot Cooking While Camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Default Crock Pot Cooking While Camping

Well, due to my daughter having asthma and using a nebulizer that runs on electricity... even when I tent camp, I usually have electricity.

I am thinking about picking up one of these:

Hamilton Beach: Stay or Go Slow Cookers

So that we could have some crock pot lasagna or sloppy joes all ready to go at the campsite after a day of exploring.

I was also thinking that I could simmer something in it all day on a Friday while I'm at work, and lock the lid down for the drive to the campsite and have a meal to eat when we get there.

It is especially effective for me because I am usually the lone adult. I can't be tending the fire so we can cook something to eat and putting up the tent (or popup if I buy one) at the same time. This way, we could graze out of the crock pot while I set up camp and not be cranky and starving by the time I can get a fire going!

I love the locking lid for travel and to prevent a critter that likes the smell from having a taste while we are out and about.

Anyone have one of these, or advice not to buy this for camping from bad experiences with crock pots while camping?

Last edited by kiteri; 04-06-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Those look awesome, will have to look into getting one of those! I try to stick with electric sites, if only to charge my phone, haha!
The only thing I would be worried about with leaving it all day is animals. I guess it just depends on how "wild" the park is. The one we stayed in this weekend had animals (I am thinking raccoons) wandering in our site about 10-20 minutes after we went to the tent for the night.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Camping Guru

Yeah... well I figured it would be too hot for them to touch while it was cooking.

I would of course eat the contents and wash it before the nocturnal critters were out and about like raccoons... but still feel safer with the locking lids for those critters that are awake during the day.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Didn't mean to imply that it would be out at night!!! Sorry about that!
And now you see my air-headed-ness coming out, hahaha! Locking lids, duh. Sometimes I can be a little slow...
I'll learn someday...
I really want one of those now, haha!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I do a lot of cooking with a crock pot while camping. I don't have that particular one but it is much simpler to throw something in and have it ready when you get back.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

i agree! Even when not camping..yesterday I called my 2 daughters (13 & 11) from work@ 2:00pm and had them throw a roast w/carrots, onion & potatoes 2 cups of water s/p and garlicsalt with 1 can of beef broth in...dinner was ready by 8~ easy enuff for kids and fast prep. time!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Camper

I often use a crock pot when we are either on the road or at the camp site. I do not have the exact one as you spoke but any and all of them are great to use. I often cook meat items, soups, and vegtables. In fact, I often use two of them, for that purpose. Try it as you said, and I think you would be sold on the idea.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Crock Pot Cooking While Camping

I dont know what I would do with out mine. I dont have the locking top but mine has a built in timer. Many recipes only call for 4-5 hours worth of cooking( I love the 101 things to do with a Crock Pot Book found at Camping World).So I can get it around in the morning before we head out for a day of fun in the sun, have it start at X time and its ready when we get back.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

I could see myself using this.. but since most of my exploring is on foot, I would find a way to run an extension cord into the vehicle so it could do its thing in the safety of an enclosed space free of varmits. (if I were tenting) or perhaps build a wooden box that I could lock it in so the critters couldn't get my food, after all, it may be a locking top, but coons is clever critters
Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Camper

I have used mycrockpot many times while camping. I have also always used it outside, without any "animal" issues. Except for the flies. For some reason, any time I have cooked pork, either ribs or a roast, the flies have been the worst. Doesn't seem to happen when I cook beef or chicken though.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default Guaranteed to make anyone hungry

My cousin uses one. With the windows open on the fifth, the smell of BBQ or whatever was cooking guaranteed everyone would be hungry in short order. She loved it because it meant cooking only once a day and if there were leftovers, the lunch was easy the next day. Haven't taken one along yet, but I intend to. kkd
Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Camper

We have and use ours all the time. Easy to start and then go out hiking or exploring all day and then come back and your meal is ready. Great item to have when camping!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Toy Hauler

Default Crockpot cooking

I like to use my crockpot while camping. I have also found slow cooker liners a great accessory to make clean up fast and easy. Just don't lift a full liner out of the crockpot or you will have an even bigger mess to clean up. Don't ask how I know this LOL.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Camping Guru

In many campgrounds, especially National Forest types it is illegal to leave food unattended like a crock pot and the like where animals can get to it. If it is a small animal they have learned to knock things over and let things cool for a treat. If it's in a tent, and they smell it, they've learned that one swipe of the claws, then enter the tent and then knock it over. If it's in an RV and a bear smells it, then getting into an unattended RV will not be a problem for them. Then it's BIG fines if you are caught and especially if you have damage and they got to it. Some ranger stations have posted pictures of damage critters have done - they are getting smarter and smarter all the time. So when in doubt do without.

We do use a slow cooker when the campground is well populated and we are in our RV. We have used it when tenting but someone is always around. Never took one backpacking (the extension cord alone would weigh me down). This keeps the dirty pots and pans down to a minimum.

They are fun to have along.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suederods View Post
I like to use my crockpot while camping. I have also found slow cooker liners a great accessory to make clean up fast and easy. Just don't lift a full liner out of the crockpot or you will have an even bigger mess to clean up. Don't ask how I know this LOL.
Wholly bump batman!