Crock Pot Cooking While Camping - Page 2 - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Crock Pot Cooking While Camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I have a crockpot with the locking lid. Happens to work nice for car rides but can't say I have tried it at the camper. We use the non locking lid at the camper. We don't have a large population of bears there so hopefully we should be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

I use my crockpot when we camp all of the time. I may fill it the night before we leave, cook it and take with us or if we are getting there early - fill it up, put it in the fridge and then take it with us and plug up while we are setting up camp - 4 hrs later - done.

My favorite thing to make is Easy Chicken Curry with rice.

Recipe: 4 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into 8 pieces; 1 bag dried applies, 1 bag dried cranberries (crazins), 1 can low sodium/fat free cream of chicken soup, 1-2 TBL curry powder (to taste).

Layer chicken, then apples, then cranberries, then chicken, apples and cranberries in the crockpot. Mix soup with 1 cup water, then add curry powder, stir well and pour into crockpot. Cook on low heat for 6 hrs or high heat for 4 hrs until chicken is done. Serve over rice.

I also do red beans 'n rice and that will bring the neighbors in to eat. Sometimes, it's a pot roast with potatoes and carrots.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

tried something new this past weekend with the ole crock pot, boiled peanuts.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Camping Guru

Okay, I have heard of this so many times these past few months I am intrigued.

It's like what happened when I first heard of deep fried turkeys so much and so many times I finally bought a kit and tried it and now this is the only way we like our turkeys. And when all of a sudden all we kept hearing about is brewed sweet tea, then the wife learned to make it right and I wasn't even a fan of sweetened tea.

Now, it's boiled peanuts. Can you share the recipe? Even though I am not a fan of peanuts, I do indulge in peanut kinds of things on occasion. I didn't use to like sweet tea either. But I'm learning when done up right, it makes all the difference.

Finally, I need to relearn how to like okra. When I was a kid, I hated the stuff but I'm hearing we probably didn't prepare it correctly. It doesn't matter, crock pot, deep frying, or another healthy method, please share!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Tent & Backpack with all the gear
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Camper

lol...I know the feeling I wasnt a fan of boiled peanut until about this time last year. But here is the way that I fixed mine: 1 1/2 lbs of raw peanuts, about 1/2 cup salt. Rinse p-nuts until clear, put in crock pot, add water and salt, stir about once every hour for the the first 4 hours. this is to get all the nuts soaking. Cook for about 10 to 12 hours, and then enjoy.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

As long as someone was hanging around to watch over it if left outside, or maybe if you put it inside the car to cook while you were off hiking, the small animals couldn't get to it.
Bears are going to get into anything that isn't in a bear box.

Here's a tip:

Put a cup of water in the pot, then put in a turkey bag and put the food contents in the turkey bag. The water will transfer the heat to the bag contents, and cleaning up means just pulling out the bag and sticking it in the trash bag. No scrubbing cooked-on stew out of the crock pot.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Camping Guru

papasmurff... this'll be something I try at home first. About the raw peanuts, are they without shells or with shells. And does the 10 to 12 hours include the first four with all the stirring...

Consider since I'm not a big fan of peanuts I don't quite follow all the details. Thanks.

And Shadow, this doesn't include boiling peanuts, does it? My impression is that the peanuts must be directly in the water, not inside a bag which is then in the water. While I don't mind the scrubbing to clean a crock pot, that seems like a good idea but not being familiar with a "turkey bag", it won't melt to the crock pot will it?

Man, I didn't realize how much I didn't know about crock pot cooking, but I don't mind learning the tricks.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: Primitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmart View Post
And Shadow, this doesn't include boiling peanuts, does it? My impression is that the peanuts must be directly in the water, not inside a bag which is then in the water. While I don't mind the scrubbing to clean a crock pot, that seems like a good idea but not being familiar with a "turkey bag", it won't melt to the crock pot will it?

Man, I didn't realize how much I didn't know about crock pot cooking, but I don't mind learning the tricks.
No you still put water IN the turkey bag, but you also need a little water between the crockpot and the bag to transfer heat efficiently, and to make sure the bag doesn't stick to the pot. They can handle being baked in the over for hours on thanksgiving, so I think they can handle sitting in a crock pot for a few hours.
Check out Oven Bags for Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Pork and Fish Recipes to see what I'm talking about.

BTW speaking of turkey, last thanksgiving I made an awesome turkey at home. Rubbed it with oil and put it in the rack upside down at 450F for 30 minutes. then flipped it back upright and continued to cook it at about 325 for a few hours, basting it with a mix of whiskey and honey every 20 minutes, until the inner temp got to 170F (checked in the thick part between the breast and thigh with a meat thermometer). When we cut it, you would not believe how juicy it was.

Last edited by Shadow; 11-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Camping Guru

Aw Shadow... we've done that, but if you really want to save time, use a deep fryer. A 16 lb bird is done in about 40 minutes. The deep frying seems to create a crust and the inside is surprisingly juicy and tender. I won't do a turkey any other way. At first, it was intimidating since everything you saw and read was problems, fires or injuries. But I have all the right equipment (it's more than just the burner, the pot, the turkey and the oil) and it's done so fast, we wait for the side dishes for a lot longer it seems.

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Camper

[quote=artmart;13981]papasmurff... this'll be something I try at home first. About the raw peanuts, are they without shells or with shells. And does the 10 to 12 hours include the first four with all the stirring...

Consider since I'm not a big fan of peanuts I don't quite follow all the details. Thanks.

Sorry about that it would be in the shell I get mine at the grocery store. and the first time I tried them it was on a camping trip. And the stiring is part of the total cooknig time.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Since we camp at State Park Cabins, we have electricity and are pretty safe from the bears getting to the pot! I make chili in my crockpot, regular beef, venison and one year, elk, chili. Gets rid of all that game you hubby bags (or, more often, is given by other hunters) that just sits in the freezer forEVER! I blanch 6 pounds of large plum tomatoes and peel them, brown the ground meat and drain. Put tomatos and meat in crock pot. Chop sweet red and/or green peppers, hot peppers and onions in large chunks and dump in crockpot. At one large can tomato paste and two bayleaves. Add chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. (Rememeber, the more hot peppers you add, the hotter the chili.) Mix it all up, put in on high for two hours, then lower it to low for 4-6 more and voila, CAMP CHILI. And for GOD'S SAKE, don't forget the corn muffins!

I've also done ham and cabbage in the crock pot (we camp in September, it was on special and it rained all week!), pot roast and a whoe chicken with stuffing, which I prepared ahead of time and froze. I left it in the tin foil and sat it on top of the chicken in the crockpot, otherwise it gets really soggy. You can make just about AnYTHING in a crock pot. They're gifts from God!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Camping Guru

Wow Phillygirl. What timing! I am here reading about all this food and DW is almost done with dinner. This should help satisfy my mouth that is watering right now. Ummmm, good. Time to go eat! We are going camping for Thanksgiving weekend with all my wife's brothers and their families. Chile beans and cornbread are definitely on the menu for one of the evening's dinners. We'll probably use leftover deep fried turkey and then we like to add Jalapenos to the cornbread.

DINNERTIME!!! Gotta go!

2006 Ford F-250/350
2006 Montana 3500RL
Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Okay, you're from California so I'll let go the sacrilegious use of turkey in chili, as well as the use of jalapenos in the corn bread! LOL.

We're red meat purists on this coast! Hope your weekend is wonderful! I'm jealous.