Corn on the cob. - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Camping Recipes

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Corn on the cob.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Camping Guru
Camper Type: Tent

Default Corn on the cob.

I LOVE corn on the cob, but to stoke the fire to boil water takes so much energy.

This summer I tried something different. I dehusked and desilked the corn ears and rubbed some margarine (the soft stuff in the tubs worked nice) all over the ear of corn and wrapped them in foil.

I was using a fire ring provided at the campsite with one of those metal racks at the back that was adjustable from 6 inches to 18 inches above the fire.

I shoved a bunch of the hot coals to the back of the ring and set the rack at the lowest setting. I placed the foil wrapped ears of corn on the rack and left them there to sizzle and pop while I roasted hot dogs in the front of the fire ring.

I would turn them often to keep them from burning on the side closest to the coals.

After about 25-30 minutes, I tore open one of the foil packets with the corn inside and enjoyed some of the tastiest corn on the cob I have ever had!!!!!

Hooray campfire!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

I have had it like that, yummy. I have made it where you shave the corn off the cob and placed it in foil with butter. Man, my taste buds are working overtime right now.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Camper
Camper Type: None

Corn on the cob is good to if you husk it and roast it directly over the fire like a hot dog.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

If you're ever in a situation where you don't have the shelf on the campfire ring to rely on, you can peel back the husk, silk the ear, load with butter, put the husk back over the cob, and place on hot coals, turning frequently for about 10-15 minutes depending on the coal temp. comes out real tasty
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Try it still in the husk, over a low fire. 10 to 15 min. pull back the husk and silk, add butter and enjoy. (The silk comes off easy after it has cooked.)
Old 09-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Camper

We removed one layer of the husks and let them soak in water about an hour and then placed them on the rack over the coals turning for 15 minutes, and then another time we peeled them back and put butter in them and wrapped them in foil and then placed them on the racks over the coals, both were very good.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Camper

We like it hushed, buttered, wrapper in a couple of WET paper towels, then in foil. Put on the back of the grill for abt 20-30 min. Enjoy STEAMED corn on the cob.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 AM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjeffreysr1 View Post
We like it hushed, buttered, wrapper in a couple of WET paper towels, then in foil. Put on the back of the grill for abt 20-30 min. Enjoy STEAMED corn on the cob.
I don't blame you for hushing it, I can't stand noisy corn
Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Camper

I've also soaked the ears with the husks still on them in water for 15 minutes and cooked them over the coals for 15-20 minutes,,, yummy,,, happy camping everyone
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Popup

try butter with bbq sauce
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Corn on the cob is always a winner at the camp fire.
I tend to put the butter on after cooking and let it melt on there then eat as it cools slightly.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteri View Post
I LOVE corn on the cob, but to stoke the fire to boil water takes so much energy.

This summer I tried something different. I dehusked and desilked the corn ears and rubbed some margarine (the soft stuff in the tubs worked nice) all over the ear of corn and wrapped them in foil.

I was using a fire ring provided at the campsite with one of those metal racks at the back that was adjustable from 6 inches to 18 inches above the fire.

I shoved a bunch of the hot coals to the back of the ring and set the rack at the lowest setting. I placed the foil wrapped ears of corn on the rack and left them there to sizzle and pop while I roasted hot dogs in the front of the fire ring.

I would turn them often to keep them from burning on the side closest to the coals.

After about 25-30 minutes, I tore open one of the foil packets with the corn inside and enjoyed some of the tastiest corn on the cob I have ever had!!!!!

Hooray campfire!!!!!!
Yeah that is the best way to have corn on the cob no doubt about it!
What we do is dig a small bit where our fire will be, just a few inches deep to cover the cops, cover them with the earth then have a ripping fire. We soak them over night or for at least an hour WITH the husk on. After our fire dies down a bit we move the coals and dig out the goodness buried beneath!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupbob View Post
try butter with bbq sauce
Been there done that, yummy.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

what I like to do is clean the corn and load on the butter and then wrap in foil and seal the ends tight. Then I just drop into a fire pit and let sit until the corn becomes soft to the touch. Or I cut the corn off the cob and saute in cast iron pan with corn oil and butter until the corn is a nice brown color and eat up.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Camper
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

this sounds soooo good! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!