Alcohol and camping - CamperCommunity Forums

Join Now!

Go Back   CamperCommunity Forums > Camping > Around the Campfire

CamperCommunity.com is the premier Camper Community Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Alcohol and camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Camping Fanatic
Camper Type: Travel Trailer

Default Alcohol and camping

Is drinking banned at campgrounds you frequent?

All of the state parks and most of the private parks where we camp do not allow alcohol. While we have been known to quietly consume a few regardless, some enforce this rule more so than others.

Since we have members here from all parts of the country, I wanted to see what its like where you camp.

Ford Mainline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 AM
Camping Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to l2l

Up here in Canada there is a growing number of Provincial Parks that will not allow Alcohol on Long Weekends. Mainly due to teen agers camping and partying all night long.

Of course we still smuggle it in but do NOT flaunt it.

Seems to be a growing trend I am afraid.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Addicted Camper
Camper Type: Tent

Thats the way it is around here to. I dont think most of the campgrounds here really care about the mature adults having a drink, they just dont want parties and folks getting rowdy. We have been spotted by the rangers multiple times with a cold one, but they never say anything because we are quietly enjoying it and not showcasing it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Camping Guru

What? You mean people (other than me) actually drink at a campground?? hehehe
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Camping Guru

I've found that MAY 24 long weekend here is the weekend that alcohol is banned. Same with other long weekends as well. I avoid camping on long weekends any way. Way to busy. Every campground that I've been to state that Alcohol is allowed but you are not to leave your site with it.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Camping Extraordinaire

The campgrounds we have been to have banned alcohol, but like camper 121, we smuggle it and don't flaunt it. We usually put it in a red plastic cup. I think some of the rangers know we have it but as long as we are respectful of other campers at the campground, they don't say anything. I am sure if we got loud and unruly they would kick us out the campgrounds.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Camping Fanatic

I could easily live with these rules, we dont travel anywhere anyways (usually). It would be nice for it to just be "ok" to have it, but I am sure that opens the doors for some rowdy activity. Do yall ever see anything get out of hand with that being allowed? Any teenager parties, or rowdy rednecks for that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigua View Post
I've found that MAY 24 long weekend here is the weekend that alcohol is banned. Same with other long weekends as well. I avoid camping on long weekends any way. Way to busy. Every campground that I've been to state that Alcohol is allowed but you are not to leave your site with it.

Ford Mainline
Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: 5th Wheel

Most of the places I have been dont allow alcohol either, which is ok with me. We like the occasional cocktail ourselves, but there are ways to do it without being caught, which is what we do. By it not being promoted to be allowed, I think it cuts down on the rowdiness for sure.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Enthusiastic Camper
Camper Type: None

Out here in California, you have to keep the alcohol limited to your campsite...you can't walk around with it. Yep, those red plastic cups is what we use
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Camping Guru

There are a few campgrounds with the same rules "alcohol limited to your campsite" but are known as the party campgrounds that you just avoid if you want to sleep at night. I really haven't seen any problems with the campgrounds we've been to. You might here some loud laughing the odd time but their just having a good time. Most of Private parks I've been to, patrol the campground all night long and they just ask people to quite down. Once we stayed at a place for the weekend and there were a few guys really being loud. They were drinking a swearing out loud for my daugter to hear and I guess a couple of seasonal residents had enough. The owner came around countless times to tell them to keep it down. 6:00 in the morning he had the O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police) at the camp site. With dogs! They were gone in just a few minutes. What a way to wake up really hung over! Other than that, I really haven't seen anything like that. Everywhere I've been to so far, people have been pretty respectful.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Enthusiastic Camper

Default michigan

State parks in michigan it is limited to your campsite. Most privite campgrounds rules are pretty lacks... Some county parks its either banned or limited to your campsite... We like to make slush....
Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Camper

Alcohol is banned from all state parks in PA. We do bring a few beers, but like others said just drink quietly at our site.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Enthusiastic Camper

Its always been banned where we go too, but we have never had any problems with it, sneakin around. I think as long as your not loud and rowdy and dont have the local church group camping next to you, it should be ok.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Addicted Camper

Send a message via MSN to grace

My Dad always brought some beer with him when we camped. He never got out of control or loud with it. Many had about the same amount in coolers. I never saw anyone out of control. Most people just stayed in the campgrounds.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Camper

I have always seen people drinking at the private campgrounds I have been to. The state and federal do have restrictions. I have seen some allow alcohol at certain times of the year, and others that ban it completely. I have found if this is a issue than call ahead to the state or federal park or campground you are thinking to attending and they can tell you the restrictions over the phone. I use to camp with a group that it was important to get a barrell of beer, and so any camping place that did not allow it was not even considered.